Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 7, 2003, 6:58 PM   #11

Great ideas and advice. Many thanks.

Macro samples from the 2500 looked awesome.

I have a tripod. I will need to work on the lighting. I know the flash will be useless on the macro pics. Minimum flash is 1.5'

A couple questions about the Coolpix 2500. It uses a Li-ion batery. Ritz sells them for $40 each. Spec said batery life of 80 minutes. Is this normal?

RITZ camera offer comes with a battery charger. How many recharges should I expect out of this battery?

90 day warranty sounds great too for a "re-freshed"?

Is there some thing different between refurbished and re-freshed?
pjjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 7:09 PM   #12
Administrator

Ritz just used a different term -- Nikon actually calls them "reconditioned" -- some other manufacturers call them "refurbished".

Same thing.

As far as battery life, that sounds about right.

However, if I were you, I'd buy the batteries from Sterlingtek. I've seen them recommended by lots of Nikon users. The Coolpix 2500 battery is only $11.99, and it's a higher capacity than the standard Nikon battery:

http://www.sterlingtek.com/nico25eneqba.html

As far as recharges -- I've had some AA's that have been recharged well over 1000 times, that still seem to work as good as new. Others have found that batteries seem to weaken after 6 months to a year. In any event, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Chances are, you won't have any problems for a year -- and even if you do, batteries are cheap (generic batteries, as in the sterlingtek link above).

What I'd suggest:

1. Buy the camera from a local Ritz.
2. Don't buy any extras until you've tried it out for a while (to make sure you are totally happy with it.
3. Make sure you don't open the software

This way, thanks to the 10 day satisfication guarantee at Ritz, you could always return it if not completely satisfied. Here is their return policy:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...pping#anchor10
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 7:47 PM   #13

Ordered the CoolPix 2500 refurb from Ritz. I think this camera fell into my lap. It was a great that every thing lined up for me. The forum, the reply, the camera, the price.

I will take your advice and not open any software.
But, don't I need it to load or view the pictures?

Thanks for all the help. I might be back with other questions after the camera arrives.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 8:13 PM   #14
Administrator

Nah - you shouldn't need the software. Most Windows newer Windows Versions will automatically see the camera for downloading photos (the camera will appear as a removable disk drive letter).

If you do need drivers, you can download them from Nikon:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...Z2U9MQ**&p_li=

As far as image editing -- download irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com

It will let you view/print your photos.

I just want to make sure you really like the camera first, so I suggested adhering to Ritz Camera's return policies (no shrink wrapped software should be opened).
Old Nov 7, 2003, 9:49 PM   #15
Administrator

P.S.

I can remember buying my first digital camera, expecting the same results as I was getting from a Nikon 35mm SLR.

Boy, was I unhappy. I complained about viewfinder accuracy, metering, chromatic aberrations (purple fringing), autofocus/shutter lag, and everything in between.

Now that I'm on my 7th Digicam, my expectations are more realistic.

That's why I mentioned adhering to the return policy -- just in case you're as picky as I am.

I have no doubt that this is a lot of camera for the buck (IMO, it's a steal at 119.95). However, different users have different expectations from a camera.

Chances are, you'll be thrilled at the results. I just wanted to give you the option of returning it, in case you think the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" (it's not)
Old Nov 8, 2003, 3:23 PM   #16

I bought a digi about 2 years ago and returned it the next day the picture quality was horrible. I have not bought another untill yesterday. Most of the digital pictures I see from family and friends don't look good to me. I take pictures with an N65 ($130) and they crush what I am seeing from them.
Old Nov 8, 2003, 3:45 PM   #17

If you're not prepared to do your own digital darkroom stuff properly and learn the limitations of the technology, you can fall over. In 2 years the performance of digital cameras has improved a lot - but I don't know whether that applies to the photographers using them! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 1:49 AM   #18

Ordered tha camera late Friday and got it Wednesday.

First pictures out look great. Thanks for the advise.

Worried about LCD damage. Do all camaras leave them exposed to scratches, punctures, and the elements?
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:00 AM   #19
Administrator

Check on Ebay for LCD Protectors. These are common.

Personally, I've never used one, and don't have a problem with scratches (but I'm pretty careful with my cameras). I even keep my new Konica KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta DiMAGE G500) in my pants pocket. But, I make sure that nothing else is in the same pocket (keys, change, etc.) that may scratch the LCD Display.

Also, Nikon offers an optional LCD Hood for the camera, which allows easier viewing in bright sunlight