Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 6, 2003, 7:19 PM   #1

Default Need a basic camera for selling stuff on eBay

I will be taking pictures of coins, beanies, clothes and stereo equipment. Is 1MP enough? I will never print a picture to paper with this camera, only online. Need good clarity. Don't want to spend over $150. Is this possible?
pjjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:31 PM   #2

1MP should be enough for web use if you'll NEVER use it for anything else... but beware, once you start taking photos with a digital you'll probably take more than you ever did before. Once it becomes so easy to see how the photos come out, and easy to delete the ones you don't like, and when you realize they're all free unless you print them... it just becomes sooo addictive .

I don't know if you can find any 1mp cameras any more, but there are several good 2mp cameras that are not too far out of your price range. The Canon A60 and the Nikon 2100 both sold for around $260 recently but can both be found for around $199 now.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...3&cmCat=SEARCH

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...0&cmCat=SEARCH

The Nikon is smaller and more comfortable to hold... the Canon A60 has longer battery life, better quality video clips (with sound), and manual exposure controls. You may find the additional controls useful if you're shooting a lot of oddly shaped objects in poor light. The auto or program modes work great as well if you don't want to hassle with learning the manual modes.

Both of them have macro modes that will be useful for you in shooting coins, and the 2mp size will allow you to crop the picture down to size to get an even better closeup view of coins and such than you could with a lower res camera.

Good luck...
Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:37 PM   #3

BTW, Best buy and Target carry both of these cameras. Wal-mart carries the A60.

I don't know if any of the above stores have marked down the cameras to $199 yet.

I don't care too much for Ritz camera (they've bought up nearly all of the small indpenendant shops in my area and thus eliminated all the interesting variety in camera stores) but they carry them both at the $199 price, and I see from the web site there are several of their stores in your area.

Kevin
Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I have looked that the A60 but it seem like it has way more than I need. Any thing under $150 that has a decent amount of clarity with macro?
pjjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:35 PM   #5
Administrator

A good model that would fit your budget may be a factory reconditioned Nikon Coolpix 2500. This camera also comes with a charger and rechargeable battery.

Ritz has them for only $119.95 now.

This would leave you money left over for a larger memory card(s) and spare battery if you decide you want them later.

Here's the Link to the Camera at Ritz. I'd buy one "quick", before they sell out. At $119.95, it's a "steal".

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...2&cmCat=SEARCH

BTW, PC Magazine tested 10 cameras for under $300.00 in it's Oct. 2002 issue (the price on the Coolpix 2500 had dropped to $299.95 at the time of the review, from it's original retail of $379.95).

These cameras were the Canon Powershot A200, Casio Exilim EX-M1, FujiFilm Finepix 30i, HP Photosmart 620, Kodak EasyShare LS420, Minolta DiMAGE X, Olympus Camedia D-520 Zoom, Sony Cybershot DSC-P51, Toshiba PDR-3300, and Nikon Coolpix 2500.

The Nikon Coolpix 2500 was the "Editors Choice".

Again, I don't think you can buy a better camera for the money, with a factory reconditioned model at only $119.95 (delivered -- the price includes shipping).

P.S. -- you'll probably want to use a tripod (with the self timer to prevent blur due to camera shake), along with external lighting for best results (to prevent glare from the camera's flash -- external lighting is much better). Then, crop the photos as needed using software for your online postings.

Good Luck!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:46 PM   #6

I noticed that Wal-Mart had a 3.3Mp Vivitar with macro for close focus in last week’s brocure for $132. It wouldn’t be a great general purpose camera without an optical zoom, but you could use the digital zoom and/or crop the pictures in freeware like Irfanview and have plenty pixels for E-Bay. The internal 8Mb memory would give you enough best quality shots for what you are doing – maybe 6 or so according to the compression.

1Mp is a little sparse in a cheap camera. You probably aren’t going to have an optical zoom on a cheaper camera and you will have to do quite a bit of cropping to take a picture of a coin even with a macro mode. After you crop out the coin you might not have enough pixels for a decent shot.

I would personally prefer the little Nikon that JimC linked, but it is refurbished and would be a hassle if it weren’t perfect. It doesn’t have a viewfinder but you have to use the LCD for macro work anyway. I’ve generally had good luck with refurbished stuff as long as it is refurbished by the manufacturer.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:51 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
I would personally prefer the little Nikon that JimC linked, but it is refurbished and would be a hassle if it weren’t perfect. It doesn’t have a viewfinder but you have to use the LCD for macro work anyway. I’ve generally had good luck with refurbished stuff as long as it is refurbished by the manufacturer.
I've had good luck with Nikon refurbished products. I bought a Coolpix 950 this way (factory reconditioned). I was unable to distinquish it from a brand new camera in any way, even upon close inspection.

BTW, Ritz has a 10 day customer satisfaction guarantee. So, if you find anything wrong with the camera (unlikely, since it was carefully inspected and reconditioned by Nikon), you could return it for an exchange or refund.

P.S.

I also don't think you'll find a camera with a better macro mode, at anywhere near this price. See the macro test at dpreview.com for this model at this link:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp2500/page10.asp
Old Nov 7, 2003, 4:01 PM   #8

Default Re: Need a basic camera for selling stuff on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjs
I will be taking pictures of coins, beanies, clothes and stereo equipment....
There have been several questions from folks taking pictures of coins - it is a difficult thing to do well. Lighting will have more effect than anything to do with the camera for all of the things you listed, but coins are really nasty to deal with.

Another issue is a tripod - that will help get good shots. Since your budget pretty much rules out a decent tripod, keep in mind that you can set your camera into a bean-bag and use the self timer. So make sure any cheap camera you get has a self timer.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 4:59 PM   #9
Administrator

I agree with Bill. I mentioned the same thing in my first response -- lighting and tripod.

As Bill says, lighting will be the hardest part -- especially with shiny objects like coins. It's hard to get adequate lighting, without unwanted reflections (you definitely don't want to use a flash).

BTW, I would still get a tripod - maybe not a great one, but at least a cheap one. Wal-Mart has some for around $20.00

I originally suggested using the self timer. However, the Nikon does have another feature that I've found useful for macros. It's known as their "Best Shot Selector" (BSS).

Basically, in this mode, you press and hold the shutter button down until the camera snaps off 5 or 6 photos. When you release the shutter button, it saves the sharpest one (probably by saving the photo with the largest file size, which indicates more detail).

I've even used this technique with a Nikon Coolpix 950, hand holding it directly to a microscope eyepiece -- getting sharp 600x photos at very low shutter speeds (by letting BSS pick the sharpest photo).

You can do this same thing with a tripod (set the camera to BSS mode, press and hold the shutter button until it snaps off 5 or 6 photos, then release the shutter). Often, this works just as well as the self timer (with less hassle setting it, etc.).

Usually, at least one of the photos will be sharp this way -- even with the camera shake you'll get when initially pressing the shutter, and the camera will automatically save the sharpest photo.

I've been quite impressed with my macro results using this technique with Nikons in the past. The Coolpix 2500 also has this feature (Best Shot Selector is unique to Nikons).
Old Nov 7, 2003, 6:54 PM   #10

Target sells a mini-tripod for $14. It isn't the greatest quality, but you can turn a dial just above the legs so that they spread wide out. This brings the camera very close to the table top... very useful for macro shots of coins.

I bought one just because it's easy to stick in the camera bag even when you don't think you'll need one. It's nice for unexpected shots in dim light, or whenever.

I couldn't find a page for it on target's web site, but it looks very similar to this one (except it has gold-colored legs with a wrist strap attached):

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Sima_Sim...Digital_Camera