Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:17 PM   #1

Default Pentax ZX-M

I just bought a Pentax ZX-M from a pawn shop and I found the manual online and understand most of it. The only thing I couldn't find anything about was it came with three glass lenses, they look like they go inside or onto the 35-80 lenses that is on it. They say Promaster Spectrum 7 then +1, +2, or +4. The guy who sold it to me is an amatuer photographer and said they are for changing the focal point or something, but I can't find anything online about how to install them or what exactly they do. Can someone help please, I'm going on vacation soon and would like to know before I go.

Also, I paid $20 for the camera, lense, remote shutter button, bag, and these 3 glass lenses. Its obviously used, but has no noticable damage to it, sound like a good deal?

Last edited by acrajchel; Jul 9, 2009 at 6:05 PM.
acrajchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:34 PM   #2

They are close-up lenses. They screw onto the end of the 35-80 lens, and allow you to focus on subjects that are closer than you could focus on without them. They can be stacked, so you can get very close.

BTW, you should remove your e-mail address from your post.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:36 PM   #3

BTW, if you don't have the manual, you can download it here:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/ZX-M.pdf
Old Jul 9, 2009, 6:05 PM   #4

Default Flash ZX-M

I can't figure out how to install them, someone said the end should unscrew but I can't get it and I don't want to break anything. Any one have instructions with pictures? Also I took some test shots and they are very fuzzy in the dark, no flash so the shutter is staying open. Should I manually slow the shutter down or is a flash going to be the only remedy? And finally, the purpose of buying this was to use it on a beach vacation. Should I get a UV filter and if so, any recommendations? I will be shooting family members on the beach and maybe some scenic sunsets/ocean shots. So I don't know if I need red, blue, polarized, or what?

Last edited by acrajchel; Jul 9, 2009 at 6:07 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:26 PM   #5

The close-up lenses have fine male threads on the back that mate with the female threads inside the rim of the lens barrel at the end of the lens. They can be stacked such that the male threads on the back of one can be attached to the female threads on the front of another. If they've been together for a while, they may be stiff, but you probabably won't hurt anything trying to force then apart, except possibly the skin on the palm of your hand.

A common rule of thumb for 35mm film photography is to not use a shutter speed that's slower than the inverse of the focal length. You have a 35-80mm lens, so at 35mm you shouldn't use a shutter speed slower than 1/35 second, and at 80mm you shouldn't use a shutter speed slower than 1/80 second. If you don't have enough light for a proper exposure, you should use a larger aperture, or use a flash.

For what you want to do, I'd definately get a circular polarizing filter. At beaches and near water, there will be lots of glare, and a polarizing filter will help with that.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:56 PM   #6

Is there a difference between a polarized lense and a circular polarized lense? Also, how do you adjust the aperture on the ZX-M? Someone told me to keep a UV filter on it at all times to protect the lense, sound like a good idea? And finally, is there an inexpensive flash that you recommend?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:47 PM   #7

The ZX-M is a basic camera. You'll need to change the aperture on the ring on the lens - it's the ring next to the camera that has numbers and lines on it, like 4, 5.6, 11, etc. The smaller numbers will allow more light to come in (the "larger aperture" that TCav mentioned). The camera doesn't control the aperture at all, but does have a meter that will set the shutter speed based on the aperture set on the lens. Also, (if I recall correctly), it doesn't have a focus motor so you'll need to focus manually, using the split screen.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 1:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrajchel View Post
Is there a difference between a polarized lense and a circular polarized lense?
Circular polarized filters are needed for autofocus slr cameras due to the type of autofocus sensor (s) used, and are more expensive than linear polarizers. As the ZX-M is a manual focus camera, you can use either.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote