Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:53 PM   #1

Default Add-On Telephoto

Let me preface this discussion by saying that I am a "pure" rookie when it comes to photography. I don't know "Jack" and make no claim in that regard either. However, I enjoy taking pictures and appreciate the artistry involved (even though I like sports/action shots the best). At any rate, here's my question...based on the dozens of reviews I've read and the photos I've viewed, I've just purchased an Oly C-2100UZ camera. Now I'm thinking about purchasing a telephoto lens to go with it. 10X is great, but if I can get more optical zoom, I'll go for it. Do add-on lenses contribute to a degradation of image quality? (Kenko in particular) Further, for this particular camera, can anyone recommend an add-on that they've used and had success with? Additionally, can anyone provide any stories about add-on telephoto lenses that harmed their shots more then helping them?? Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated...
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2002, 3:27 PM   #2

The best so far is the Olympus B-300 (1.7X and discontinued) The old Canon C-8 1.6X is good (but heavy) if you can find one that still has clear glass. The Olympus C-210 and C-180 are good quality, but the vignetting makes them useless for anything but birding. You'll also get a lot of vignetting and chromatic aberration with the 5X and 8X Kenko/Opticzoom, etc.

You'll get more precise answers at the Olympus forums here and elsewhere than you will in this forum.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 6:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Jim...since I made the post I have checked other forums and have found that most users agree with your assessment of the B-300. I've been trying to find one but they're hard to locate (at a reasonable price). The A-200 is also thought to be a reasonable alternative...haven't read anything about the Canon C-8 ...I'm going to immediately look into that as an alternative...
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2002, 7:31 PM   #4

Here are some comparison shots with my D7. Bare lens vs. B-300 vs. C-8:

http://www.pbase.com/j_a_hunt/c8samples
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2002, 8:53 AM   #5
lg

Quote:
Do add-on lenses contribute to a degradation of image quality? (Kenko in particular)
I recently tried out a Kenko KNW-05 HI wide angle lens, and yes, there is quite a bit of degradation on image quality. The sharpness is much poorer, there is vignetting in the four corners of the picture at virtually all wide angle settings, flare is bad and there is chromatic abberation that is quite noticeable. However, the cropped pics are moderately acceptable if you really need a 19mm lens.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote