Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 8, 2003, 1:42 AM   #1

Default Questioning to the experts about digicams

Hi! I'm writting because I've read a lot of reviews about many cameras, and I'm very confused, and I know that you can help me. I want to buy a new camera, in this point I have two finalists, the Oly C-4000z and the Canon A80, the decision is dificult because I love the Oly image quality and the size of its LCD, but I hate that it uses Smart Media, and its software too.

About the Canon I love that it uses Compact Flash, I have many stuffs that use CF, it is a standard for me, also I love its software, its LCD with variable angle, that records movies with sound, its controls. I only hate its LCD size.

I was decided for buying the A80 but I read some reviews that said that it has serious problems with purple fringing and blow of sky, the quality of the images is very important and I don't make a mistake buying this camera instead of the oly.

Could you said me if the A80 if a impresive camera or it is better the C-4000z, my budget is around $350.

I will apreciate any suggestion.
robalrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2003, 5:02 AM   #2

All cameras have weaknesses, cameras reviewed are not necessarily identical to the product you buy. Why not try the camera you are interested in with some of the possible issues in mind - they may not be as important as you think. I don't know the A80, but my 602 exhibits some sky blow out and I put this down to the auto exposure level to get bright sparkly pics people want. I set my exposure metering down 1/3 stop, and decide afterwards if I want to blow out the highlights. If you download some of Steve's A80 test review pics here, you can check for yourself - seeing is believing! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 8:37 PM   #3

I would not let the smart media be your deciding factor. There are many cameras still in the world that use smart media. I would lean to the A80.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 3:28 AM   #4

I agree with Gibson...I've owned cameras that have used CF, SD, and now smartmedia (my next one will probably use xD)...the type of memory a camera uses is very low on my priority list:

- picture quality
- optical features (zoom, super macro)
- how does the camera feel in your hands
- ease of use (location of controls)
- type of batteries it uses (just say NO to proprietary)
- ease through menus, can I customise some
- (several other things I can't think of right now)
-
-
-
- type of memory it uses
- software that comes with the camera (as long as I can use standard editing software and Explorer to copy files, I don't care what software comes with the camera)
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 6:21 AM   #5

I take the same view as Gibson on Smartmedia. Although I've got a MD in my 602, SM is my option for fast refresh and it's very cheap. Where I'd probably draw the line is shooting BIG Mpix. SM is still workable just down to 70 pics at about 2MB per pic on the max 128Mb card. But take the A80, when I did my research I realised its High Fine mode makes a bigger file at 4Mpix than my 602. That means Less JPEG - which I like, but it also means realistically you are probably looking at a 256 -512Mb CF card and not the 32Mb that's supplied. Pity on the A series, Canon didn't make the CF slot bigger to take MD's!

In addition, there's something curious I discovered on an A70 I tried in movie mode with a Transcend 45X card - which stalled after 20 seconds. This might just mean Canon have gotten up to some tricks so their cards work fine. VOX
Old Nov 9, 2003, 5:36 PM   #6

Thanks for all your replies.

voxmagna: Why not try the camera you are interested in with some of the possible issues in mind .

The problem is that I cannot try the camera because I will buy it by internet, because near to my home there aren't digital camera's stores.

gibsonpd3620: I would not let the smart media be your deciding factor.

The memory type is not my deciding factor only I would like a camera that uses CF.

In addition, there's something curious I discovered on an A70 I tried in movie mode with a Transcend 45X card - which stalled after 20 seconds. This might just mean Canon have gotten up to some tricks so their cards work fine. VOX

Thanks for this suggestion, because I wanted to buy a SanDisk CF, and not a Canon CF because it is so expensive. It is also a problem with Olympus, the movie mode doesn't work fine with generic memories.

I have a friend that got a Oly C-4000z he says that it works very fine, but this is an old model, by this reason I'm cosidering the canon A80 it is smaller that the oly and uses CF, but for me the most important think is the photo quality, but based in the reviews I don't know wich camera is better mainly because there aren't reviews about the oly in my main reference pages dcresource and dpreview. I will apreciate your suggestions about this two cameras.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 6:52 PM   #7

I'm getting an A80 this week as a second (wife)cam. There's a fix for the oem cards but I ran short of mentioning it in the Newbie section: You format the card under DOS as 8K cluster size instead of the 2K default on the card (on cards up to 256Mb). A 20X card worked fine in the A70 BUT only erase all pics, as the A70 format puts back the 2K cluster size (The 602 doesn't change the card format if you change it).

My guess is, the expensive Canon card is formatted and recognised as 8K, and their format software might say 'If Canon card, reformat in cam as 8K=movie will work fine'. If OEM card, format default as 2K (Movie won't work proper!) - But then I'm naturally suspicious about these things and nobody has told me yet what the cluster size is after an in cam format on a Canon card. Good luck, VOX
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:15 AM   #8

gibsonpd3620 wrote:
" I would lean to the A80."

Gibsonpd3620 could you say why did you prefer this camera instead of the oly. Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:34 AM   #9

Quote:
voxmagna

I'm getting an A80 this week as a second (wife)cam.
Wonder what the 1st wife will think of that? :shock: :lol:
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 11:54 AM   #10
ir

I'd just like to address one issue mentioned above. There was a suggestion that Canon has done something in the A70 that causes the movie modes not to work as specified unless you use a Canon CF card. This is true, I think for some cameras, but I have an A70 with a 512MB ScanDisk card and I would like to state that movie mode, and everything else, WORKS FINE with no problems at all. 640x480 for up to 30 seconds, and 320x240 or 160x120 for up to 3 minutes.

I would suggest that if you have an A70 that behaves otherwise then there is something wrong with it.

ir
ir is offline   Reply With Quote