Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 11, 2003, 3:44 PM   #11
Administrator

You're quite welcome Jeanie!

One other suggestion. Download a program called Irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com

Also, download the "plug ins".

It's a free image editing software package.

One of the downsides to a very small camera, with a flash close the the lens, is redeye. Even many larger models can have this problem (both of my Nikons, a Coolpix 950 and Coolpix 990 had a bad problem with this, too). Nikon redesigned the flash placement, so that it was higher, above the lens, in the Coolpix 995 and 4500 models.

But, with a camera as small as the G500, this just isn't possible.

You'll need to learn how to get rid of Redeye when it occurs.

With Irfanview, it's quite simple to fix. Just Zoom in on the eyes, use your mouse to highlight the eye, and you can select the amount of redeye reduction desired under a menu choice called "Image, Effects Browser, Redeye Reduction"

I use it often to fix the redeye when it occurs in my photos (although there are MANY other packages that can remove it, too).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 4:06 PM   #12

Thanks again!! I had just been reading a review about the red eye problem on it. The reviewer did say that all small cameras have the same problem. Thanks for the tips!!!
jmkst58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 9:28 AM   #13

THANKS AGAIN!! I received the Minolta last night, and so far...I am VERY HAPPY with it. I ended up getting it for $315, and could not have been more happy with the retailer. I really don't think that you can beat this camera for its price. It appears to be EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! 'cheap but still full featured!!' Now I've just got to learn to use it. :lol: THANKS AGAIN!!
jmkst58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 9:33 AM   #14
Administrator

You're welcome.

Let me know if you have any problems with setting it up (the manual is very cryptic).

I'd immediately go to the Custom Menu (Menu, Setup, Custom), and turn all options on (especially the Continuous Mode option).

This will also give you a lot of choices under the 4 way controller (Autoexposure Lock, Autofocus Lock, Exposure Compensation, White Balance Choices, Focus Choices, etc.) that you won't have with the camera's defaults.

It's great, because you don't have to use the menus to get to frequently used features.

Go to my user review of this model to see how I use mine (options under the 4 way controller). You'll see the links on my Konica album page at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote