Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:16 AM   #1

Default Use Sunpack 2000 DZ with Nikon D80

Hello! Just bought a Nikon refurbished D80 (I'm so excited)and want to know if I can use my old Sunpack auto 2000DZ flash with it. Also what is a slave flash? I have so many questions regarding this- I have a wedding shoot Sept 5th on the beach but indoor reception- so need to get familiar with this cam. Thanx!!!
cskcsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:37 AM   #2
Administrator

It should work OK. You'll just need to use manual exposure on the camera, setting the camera and flash to match for ISO speed and Aperture. Then, select your shutter speed to let in the desired amount of ambient light (and I'd probably go with around 1/100 second as a starting point). You'll probably want to set your camera's white balance to flash or sunny. You'll be limited by the x-sync speed of the camera (1/200 second with a D80) as to the fastest shutter speed you can use with it.

A slave flash is one designed to be triggered by another flash. Note that a camera's built in flash will always use a metering preflash, which will "fool" most slave flashes into firing on the metering preflash versus the camera's main flash. So, make sure you get a "digital aware" slave trigger if that's something you're interested in doing. Personally, I'd suggest avoiding them with a dSLR type camera.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:46 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

If you want a fully dedicated solution (flash aware of camera settings), I'd look at the Nikon SB-600, SB-800 or SB-900.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote