Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:36 PM   #1

Default help to find best closeup 5mp camera

Hi,
I bought my first digital camera a few years ago. It's a Kodak DC220. Only big problem to me was that it is real lousy with closeup work. I need a digital camera that can take great close up work as well as do well in darker or lower light situations. I have fibromyalgia in my wrists so weight is an issue. I looked at the ones that write to the mini cd and discovered the mechanism automatically adds about a pound to the unit. That will become a problem eventually for me. One of the things I like to do is fast focus close up pictures of my little pets, sugargliders so I need a camera that can keep up with them. I would like to stay under $800 if possible. Has anyone got any suggestions?
Thank you for your help,
Glidermum
glidermum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:46 AM   #2
Administrator

Minolta DiMAGE G500 (a.k.a., Konica Revio KD-510z).

See comments from a user on closeup work here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6621924

Also note my response to him concerning batteries and memory.

See some comments on low light focus here, in a thread titled "Shocking, G500 outperforms the 7i"

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6607017

You'll find some photos from my camera, along with review links to my user review at this link:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

P.S. - the camera is selling for under $400.00 from most vendors.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 4:35 AM   #3

Default new closeup camera needed

JimC
Thanks for the response! Your pictures are a great example of what the camera can do. If you can get such detail when taking pic of coins I should be able to get the pictures I am looking for with my night time pets. Thank you for your very positive response and suggestions.
Glidermum
Old Nov 12, 2003, 6:20 AM   #4

I want one! (A Minolta DiMage G500)

Regarding the topic, I've read everywhere it's a great camera. I think it would best suit your needs.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 8:46 AM   #5
Administrator

Default Re: new closeup camera needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermum
JimC
Thanks for the response! Your pictures are a great example of what the camera can do. If you can get such detail when taking pic of coins I should be able to get the pictures I am looking for with my night time pets. Thank you for your very positive response and suggestions.
Glidermum
You're welcome! Actually, I wasn't even really trying to photograph the coins, I only put them as a reference to size.

A while back, someone was asking if anyone knew any cameras that could "capture every thread" in fabric. They needed a camera to take photos of material. I found a tote bag my wife had that looked interesting (from a material perspective, grabbed some change, and took a closeup of it).

It was the first macro I had taken with it. I was only taking it to demonstrate differences in macro ability between models, and also pointed him to the macro tests in the Nikon reviews at dpreview.com

For his needs, I actually recommended to the person I was responding to that the Nikon 950, 990, 4500 models had the best macro capabilities of any camera made (they can "fill the frame" with an object as small as 0.7 inches across, with virtually no distortion, and no other "off the shelf" camera even comes close).

This one can only "fill the frame" with an object as small about 2 inches across. However, it's low light focus is suprisingly good, and the Nikons low light abililty is not as good (I've owned both the Coolpix 950 and the Coolpix 990, so I've got some experience with them).

I guess it does do a pretty good job on fabric, too though.

You didn't mention what your pets are. If you're taking photos with flash, the camera does "throttle down" the flash quite well at closer ranges, but not "that close". If you get too close, you'll need some kind of lighting (other than the flash). Arms length, and you'll be fine.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 6:37 PM   #6

My pets are Australian Sugar Gliders. I have very small babies at the moment that just came out of pouch, they are small marsupials. The babies are about the size of a quarter. They are night people so I need to be able to picture small detail and low light conditions. I have them in a room where I control their light with white during the day and red during the night on timers. The red makes it so they are aware there is illumination but not how much as their vision is more black and white oriented with their big eyes but it allows me to observe them and their behavior. You can see some pictures of the little fellers on http://www.isga.org/informationcente...breakdown1.htm
if you are interested in what they are. I very much appreciate your advice. This is a little bit harder class of animal to get detailed pictures of.
Glidermum
aka Nancy and the Awesome Possum Posse
Old Nov 12, 2003, 6:45 PM   #7

I also forgot to mention that I found one at Click for Digital for $299. Is that a good place to purchase it from? The url is: https://www.clickfordigital.com/deta...productid=7205
Thanks so much,
Glidermum
aka Nancy
Old Nov 12, 2003, 8:02 PM   #8

ok they seem to be pretty shady. I found the camera for $325 at a place called newegg.com and they seem to have a great rating. If anyone has a better place please let me know.
Thanks,
Glidermum
aka Nancy