Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:28 PM   #1

Default Kodak Cameras

I see tons of ads for the Kodak Easyshare Cameras they seem as though they would be a pretty good camera to me. But when I am checking out posts from the more knowledgeable digital camera experts on this site offering recommendations not one has recommended a Kodak. Am I missing something? or are these just for a beginner who has no desire to have any control?
valerie s
valerieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:37 PM   #2

My sis had the Kodak DX 6490 and I recommended that she buy the camera. It takes great pictures and she loves the way the docking station transfers the photos.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:32 PM   #3

I would find the docking station in the way at my computer but it is a nice concept. You never have to remove the card or battery or plug anything in. Just rest the camera in the docking station and it charges the battery and lets you download the photos.

Read the reviews here at Steves and at www.dpreview.com and www.imaging-resource.com If you like the features and sample photos then it is a fine camera for your purposes. I think the Kodak 6490 is a particularly nice camera with the 10X zoom and really nice 2.2 inch LCD. And it has manual features you can grow into. It has a powerful built in flash and an excellent low light focus ability. The only thing I donít like about the camera is the high JPG compression. Kodak is capable of making very nice cameras and I hope they start a trend with the large LCD.

Some of the Kodaks are point and shoot, but other brands have P&S cameras as well. Just look for the features you might want.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 4:31 PM   #4

I have the Kodak DX6490 and I'm not disappointed with the results I'm getting. The "agressive" file compression Kodak is using has so far not tainted any of my photos and I have taken over 300 so far. I have made a 13x19 portrait of my Son and it looks every bit as good as the Nikon 5700 I had. Night and marco shots I have not had the chance to experiment with yet. Here are a few scaled examples if you are interested;

http://www.juetts.com/DX6490/

-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 9:11 PM   #5

Default great pictures

Thanks for posting the pictures I think they came out very nice. I will have to do a little more research because Kodak does seem to have a very nice camera.
valerie s
valerieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 1:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
I would find the docking station in the way at my computer but it is a nice concept. You never have to remove the card or battery or plug anything in. Just rest the camera in the docking station and it charges the battery and lets you download the photos.
Forget about the docking station, you can do the same thing without it with the USB cable far as transfers go etc.

Now if this docking station would have additional slots to charge 2 or 4 additional batteries it would be a worthwhile thing, however since it only charges the batteries inside the camera in my opinion its only a expensive gimmick, even the power supply which comes with the docking station can only be used for the docking station and not for AC adaptor for the camera itself.

Do yourselves a favor and simply get a AC charger for under $25 bucks which includes 4 nickel-metal hydride batteries..
It's not only a much better deal but much more useful too.
Mrjunky is offline   Reply With Quote