Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:56 PM   #1

Default Leica D Vario 14-150mm + Olympus E 450 compatible?

Hi everyone. I just recently bought an Oly E 450. My original plan was to get a Lumix G1 or GH1 to upgrade from my old canon s3 (still working perfectly). I wanted a camera with a bigger, better sensor but with a small body comparable to my S3 (which is very noisy in dim light). I also considered, initially, buying an E P1 but it has no built-in flash and based on some reviews, it has hard time focusing in dim light. When I was in Schipol airport duty free shop 3 weeks ago, I noticed that the G1 was not significantly smaller and lighter than the Oly E450. The best part was that the Oly was priced at 329 euros vs 550 euros for the G1. So i decided to get the Oly right there and then. However the first time I used the E 450, I noticed that some of the shots were not so sharp (P mode, no flash, inside airplane). Close scrutiny showed motion blur, then I realized that the E450 does not have IS . So I need to a make few adjustments to avoid motion blur (no big deal actually).

Generally, I'm happy with my E 450. It's like an upgraded Minolta x700 that I used to use during the 90s. Shots are great. What I really miss is the telephoto of my old S3. I dont want to bring 2 kit lenses when I travel. So the solution that I can see is to buy a Leica 14-150. But I do not know if it will be fully compatible with my Oly (aside from the price). Will AF still work? Any opinion or experience reg mixing leica with E 450 or E420? How about 3x telephoto converter instead?
Please help. Thanks in advance.

Manny
mannyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:29 AM   #2

The Leica lens sells for $1,600. It will work on your E-450.

But for that amount of money, you could buy an Olympus 18-180 and a stabilized E-520 (or even an E-620), and for when you really needed to go wide, a Sigma 10-24.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:07 PM   #3

Thanks TCav for taking time to answer my question. You're right. The leica is so expensive. The zuiko 18-180 is another good choice but it's quite expensive as well, around the 1,000 dollar range. Hopefully the leica will lower its price in a year or two. I've seen one person in the net claiming that he bought his leica 18-150 for 1000 dollars.
Thanks and God bless
mannyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:34 PM   #4

Adorama has the Zuiko 18-180 for $449. That, plus a Sigma 10-20 ($479), plus the stabilized Olympus E-620 ($600) would cost less than the Leica 14-150 OIS.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 1:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Adorama has the Zuiko 18-180 for $449. That, plus a Sigma 10-20 ($479), plus the stabilized Olympus E-620 ($600) would cost less than the Leica 14-150 OIS.
Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished!

Last edited by hsdfjews; Oct 16, 2009 at 2:00 AM.
hsdfjews is offline   Reply With Quote