Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 15, 2003, 6:34 PM   #1

Default My first camera?

Jeah, again... I am real n00b and i have 1 question. I want to buy camera, that will make good pictures in night... how can i know that this camera will make good night pictures? Camera sensitivity? White balance control? What atribute of camera make me sure that it makes good night pictures?
t0ur4ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2003, 7:50 PM   #2
Administrator

What kind of pictures at night?

Are you talking stills of cityscapes, etc., using a tripod?

If so, you need to look for a camera with long exposure capability (up to around 15 seconds is nice to have), with a noise reduction system built in to get rid of stuck pixels and noise at longer exposures.

If you mean of moving subjects, that's a different matter entirely. You will not be able to get fast enough shutter speeds, without spending a LOT of money with a Digital Camera. You'll need a camera with a VERY fast lens, capable of shooting at VERY high ISO speeds with low noise.

Some of the review sites, do test a camera's ability to take long exposure photos. You'll see long exposure photos at the reviews at http://www.megapixel.net and http://www.dpreview.com to name a couple.

Give us a better idea of what you mean by taking photos at night, and perhaps we can offer more suggestions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:03 AM   #3

i meant still night pictures... like landscapes, buildings, and so on..

So here what i want in my camera :

- making still night pictures
- not bad macro (10cm)
- 3-4mpx
- price : <500$

Can u say wich camera will be best?
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:57 AM   #4
Administrator

You may want to take a look at my latest camera (Konica Revio KD-510z, a.k.a., Minolta DiMAGE G500). It's well under $400.00 now from many vendors, and is a full 5 Megapixels.

It automatically engages noise reduction on photos 1/2 second or longer, and allows exposures up to 15 seconds in manual exposure mode (1 second in full auto).

I'll try to find some night photos at post them for you.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:00 AM   #5
Administrator

The second photo in this series is a photo taken with the Konica KD-510z (identical to the Minolta DiMAGE G500), using a 2 second exposure in manual exposure mode:

http://www.pbase.com/kd510z/konica_kd510z

As far as macro work, you may also want to read through this thread, for someone looking for a camera for macro work. I included links to posts from a Minolta G500 user that loves it for closeup work (especially since it "throttles down" the flash nicely at closer ranges):

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?p=76969

It's not as good as the Nikons (which are the best available for Macro work), but it can "fill the frame" with an object around 2 inches across in Macro Mode. Low light focus is much better than the Nikons.

BTW, this model is selling for a little over $300.00 now from reputable vendors.

You can find my user review of the camera in my Pbase.com album at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/Konica_kd510z
Old Nov 17, 2003, 8:59 AM   #6

Nice camera, but one problem... very big problem... I'm from Poland (a little country in Europe :P) But nodoby's selling this model in europe. On Minolta Europe Site, there isn't such model! I know that it is available in America... i think that i must buy it in America, and think about transport to Poland..

Or there is second option : Buy a G400 model... It has 4 Mpx, and in the other things it is same as G500, but it is avialable in Europe!
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:16 AM   #7
Administrator

You'll need to look for the Konica Revio KD-510z in Europe. It's the same camera as the Minolta DiMAGE G500.

Also, the new Konica Revio KD-420z, is the same camera as the Minolta DiMAGE G400.

After the Konica-Minolta merger, they decided to market these models under the Konica logo in some areas, and under the Minolta logo in others.

Other than the logos and model numbers, they are identical (Konica KD-510z is the Minolta G500; Konica KD-420z is the Minolta G400)
Old Nov 17, 2003, 1:33 PM   #8

yeah i finally found that! you're right, it was in Germany, under Konica brand... it is a bit more expensive than in America, but i think that if i take 420z model (aka G400 :P) it'll be cheaper...
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:37 AM   #9

sry again, but what do you think about Minolta Z1... i think that this one will be nice!?!
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:57 AM   #10

Use the search feature to search for messages about the Z1...you'll find some negative comments about it.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote