Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:44 PM   #1

Default LCD Screen Protector and Lens Protectors

I just purchased a Canon T1i this afternoon. On my Palm Treo, I use a screen protector for he LCD screen. Is something like that required or necessary for the LCD screen on the camera? Also, do I need to buy a lens protector for the lens that came with the camera? One more question, I always owned point and shoot cameras or disposible cameras. What is the learning curve on this type of camera. Thanks in advance.
Andy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy49 View Post
I just purchased a Canon T1i this afternoon. On my Palm Treo, I use a screen protector for he LCD screen. Is something like that required or necessary for the LCD screen on the camera?
You need a screen protector for your Treo because you write on it. dSLR LCDs aren't touch sensitive (yet) so the same kinds of dangers don't apply, but it's not a bad idea to get something to absorb an impact. Something like a Matin Heavy Duty LCD Screen Protector for the Canon XSi/T1i DSLR wouldn't be a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy49 View Post
Also, do I need to buy a lens protector for the lens that came with the camera?
I presume you're talking about a Protection Filter. There are those that think a UV/Protection filter is an inexpensive way to protect the front element of the lens from damage, and there are those that think filters (especially inexpensive filters) reduce the sharpness of a lens, resulting in lower image quality and other problems (i.e.: vignetting, flare, etc.) Pick your poison.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:05 PM   #3

Thanks.
Andy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

I presume you're talking about a Protection Filter. There are those that think a UV/Protection filter is an inexpensive way to protect the front element of the lens from damage, and there are those that think filters (especially inexpensive filters) reduce the sharpness of a lens, resulting in lower image quality and other problems (i.e.: vignetting, flare, etc.) Pick your poison.
I talked to Nikon tech support and they advised against using one. I always had one I my old SLr camera and found no sharpness issues that I could detect on a 4 x 6 photo. I just purchased protection filters for both of my Nikon len's which were about $30 each. The store mentioned you could buy the $60 a piece lens from Nikon which they say is a little better, but the salesperson in the store said for viewing on your computer or even blowing up a photo to a 8 x 10, he doubts I would see a difference in image quality. There is suppose to be some type of chemical on the lens and when you wipe it all the time, it decreases the protective what ever is on the lens.
Nikon Coolpix 5700
Canon Elan SLR

Glenn

Last edited by Blueberry; Nov 20, 2009 at 11:55 AM.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:26 PM   #5

A filter will reduce image quality if the glass isn't perfectly clear, if it isn't perfectly flat on both sides, if both sides aren't exactly parrallel, and if the coatings aren't exactly consistant from one place on the filter to another.

The degree to which the filter manufacturer meets those requirements, and can attest to having met those requirements, is what dictates the cost of a filter.

And even then, it could create flare where you wouldn't have had it before.

And, no, the lens coatings are durable enough to withstand the effects of multiple cleanings.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:55 AM   #6

[QUOTE=TCav;
And, no, the lens coatings are durable enough to withstand the effects of multiple cleanings.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Just to add on to this though - overcleaning a lens, with or without a filter on it is not recommended. The more you clean, the more llikely you are to scratch the lens or filter. In reality just because you see dust on the lens or filter doesn't mean that dust is going to show up in your photos. I wet-clean my lenses MAYBE once a year and I take about 40,000 photos a year. They get cleaned when I know I've been in dusty/dirty conditions or when I see something on the photos. Otherwise I explicitly avoid looking at the front element so I keep my OCD in check. Even when I do clean, a rocket blower is the first line. So, again, if you're taking care of your lenses and using lens hoods outdoors (a much better choice for protection / flare reduction than a filter) you'll find there's little need to wet-clean very often.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:15 PM   #7

you can get a screen protector for the LCD, they range in price from 2 buck to 14. I got a adorama special for 2 dollar for the 3inch protective film.. It does the job. As I sometimes wear glasses when shooting, I may run the possibility of damaging the screen with my frame. So I use the cheap plastic.

I am not a fan of UV filter for lens protection. You risk getting ghost images in to your shot are ruining it. If I do use a protector when I shot where there is sea spray, I get something like a haze 1 filter, it act kinda like a ND filter. It warms up the shot.

Just one piece of advise, get the hoods for your lenses, they do more to improve the shot then filters. And they add protection to the lenses. Ebay, new ones form an aftermarket brand is 1/10th the price of an actually canon hood.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:18 PM   #8

Lower quality filters can reduce image quality to the point that you wouldn't see it on a computer screen but you certainly would in an 8x10. And lower quality filters can cause flare where better filters wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediad View Post
... There is suppose to be some type of chemical on the lens and when you wipe it all the time, it decreases the protective what ever is on the lens.
No.

Granted, if you rub it against a baby's behind long enough, eventually you'll damage the lens, but I think the baby would object first.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:01 PM   #9

Hi everyone..
I bought new Samsung LCD last week and i need some solid protection on the screen. So could anyone here please suggest me some websites providing protector film for my LCD screen?

LCD screen protector film
robin20 is offline   Reply With Quote