Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 16, 2003, 2:05 PM   #1

Default night shots + action shots question

i bought a canon powershot a70 a few months ago and still don't know how to use it to its fullest potential.
what i'm really jazzed about shooting is night shots WITH action.
when i do the whole night shot thing i get blur from the action, when i do the action settings i dont get that rich light from the night.
whats the best combination of settings to win this game i'm playing?
thanks for taking the time!
ndzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2003, 2:11 PM   #2
Administrator

Sorry, but it can be virtually impossible to take photos of moving subjects at night, even with much more expensive models.

The shutter speeds are simply too slow to prevent blur.

You can get faster shutter speeds at full wide angle, since the lens can gather more light (F2.8 --- the higher the F Stop Number, the wider the aperture, and the more light the lens can gather). Less light can reach the sensor using zoom, so shutter speeds will be slower (due to the aperture rating using zoom).

Increasing ISO Speed will also help, but this causes more noise. ISO 400 will allow shutter speeds 4 times as fast for the same lighting conditions and aperture.

In the "prosumer" category, a camera like the Sony DSC-F717 can do better (it's F2.0 lens at full wide angle, is twice as bright as the F2.8 of your A70).

But, this is still not bright enough to take photos of moving subjects at night in most conditions.

In the Digital SLR category, a camera like the Canon Digital Rebel (EOS-300D) can shoot at much higher ISO speeds without noise. So, if you were willing to invest in a very fast lens, and a Digital SLR, shooting at much higher ISO speeds, you'd stand a better chance.

But, even with this combination, you still may not be able to get the results you're looking for.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 12:46 AM   #3

Default thanks

wow.
thanks very much
actually explains a lot
and in plainer english too
maybe i should buy the wide angle lense for the a70?
i will endeavor!
ndzen is offline   Reply With Quote