Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 16, 2003, 3:44 PM   #1

Default Better 'Video Camera' Video Recording

C-750 Olympus shoots either 320x240 or 160x120 both at 15fps
Kodak DX6490 says it shoots at 20fps

Which of these offers best quality video? I do assume the 320x240 is better video/pixel quality but unsure of diff. between the 15 vs. 20 fps factors.

Looking for 10X optical 4.0mega with best video capture.
wrldromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2003, 3:58 PM   #2

Not a 4MP camera, but, Fuji S5000 takes video at 30fps. Checkout the sample video from the review page on this website. S5000 is a 3MP camera. I emptied my wallet and ordered one today.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 4:27 PM   #3
Administrator

Do not expect to get the same quality from a Digital Still Camera, regardless of the mode used. Digital Still cameras have much worse audio quality compared to a real Video Camera.

Newer 30 frames per second modes will be less "choppy" compared to slower frame rates, but this does not eliminate all of the problems.

Because the lens is not stabilized (as in the vast majority of Video Cameras being sold now), your images will tend to "jump around" a lot with the slightest camera movement).

You cannot use Optical Zoom when recording movie clips with most Digital Still Cameras either.

Last, but not least, consider your memory card requirements. Some of the newer models with 640x480 modes at 30 frames per second can use as much as 1 Megabyte of Memory Card space per second.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 4:33 PM   #4

If you are serious about video recording, get a camcorder.

If you are serious about still photos, get a digital camera.

Each is good at doing one thing, and mediocre at doing the other.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 3:21 AM   #5

Default Digital cameras and video

Now learn the C-740 permits use of zoom but has NO sound. Other models no zoom but audio. Interesting.

So three years ago I flim a 'street artist' opera singer at a Paris metro station. Then, while living in Paris this past September I'm riding the metro. Left my Sony TRV-900 at the apt (too heavy to lug everywhere) and hear a familiar song/singer. Turn the corner and its the VERY SAME GIRL THREE YEARS LATER still doing her thing. So I used my C-700 and got about 45 seconds of video. Rather than lugging 3 lbs of cameras day in and day out I enjoy taking a break and carrying an 11 ounce Olympus knowing I have some video ability to capture the sense of a necessary moment. Thanks for the video input.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:22 AM   #6
Administrator

Default Re: Digital cameras and video

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldromer
Now learn the C-740 permits use of zoom but has NO sound. Other models no zoom but audio. Interesting.
Because the audio quality is poor on a Digital Still Camera (very tiny microphone, which is not directional), it tends to pick up lots of noise if zoom is used.

That's why manufacturers usually disable the use of Optical Zoom on models having a movie mode with audio.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 2:37 PM   #7

Default Video on digital cameras - FPS ???

Olympus C series shoots video at 15fps
Seems more fps the better. With that said.

Kodak web site SPEC SHEET lists video at 24 fps

http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/...=urg00167c12s1

Yet vendor sites including steve's Digicam review page show another spec sheet that shows a different (heavier weight) and Video at 20fps

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/dx6490.html

Do we assume Kodak is correct and other wrong? Why the different spec sheets and why don't others use the Kodak Spec sheet per their camera web pages?

How much difference between 15fps and 24 fps footage?