Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 17, 2003, 8:37 AM   #1

Default Cant make the grade...

I have entered two photographs so far for the Lumix competition (with no luck as yet). I have an idea for a third image that I hope will at least get me onto the shortlist. I think that I can see a pattern in the way that the judges are choosing winners (abstract “man and machine” shots) and have adapted to that.

Here is an example of one of my previous attempts…

I need a “different” look to get through to the final stages; for example, here is the link to one of the previous winners images http://www.panasonic-europe.com/lumi....asp?mn=200306

I know that I have very little chance of winning anything, but just getting onto the shortlist would make me a very happy man! Could someone please give me some advice on how to capture this type of photograph (subject, lighting etc).

The competition is not open to U.S users, but you can feel free to help me out with sound advice!

Many thanks

Simon
Bigwigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2003, 2:55 PM   #2

Depends on who the judges are...if they are pros they don't care about the subject matter (as long as it fits the topic). What they're looking for is proper exposure, sufficient sharpness, good lighting, and good composition...not to mention not cutting off important stuff, using "rule of thirds". Another thing is if it's a Lumix contest for Lumix users only, making their camera look good!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 3:47 AM   #3

I get the impression that they are pros.... I think that there was some sort of debate going on a couple of months back between the judges because they refused to choose a winner....

I use an Oly c750 and my shots managed to get on the gallery.

The problem is that although my photography has got noticably better I cant seem to get anywhere in competitions... I know that it's early days, but it is pretty frustrating in not quite getting what I want.

I have printed pages of advice on lighting, sharpness and composition, hopefully something will sink in.

The rule of thirds? I have heard the term before, but what is it exactly?

Thanks for your help

Simon
Old Nov 18, 2003, 9:37 AM   #4

I was very lucky ant had a photo of the day. Here is the link

http://www.steves-digicams.com/dpotd...1/12122001.jpg

I have tried several times to win again but with no success. When I look at the photos of the day that one when I submitted the other times then I can see why the POTD enter was better than mine. My thoughts are I will enter again when I find the pic I like.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 9:49 AM   #5

What was that shot taken with?

Are you saying that i'm trying to hard to get the right shot?

Cheers

Simon
Old Nov 18, 2003, 9:57 AM   #6

I took the shot with an Olympus C3000. I am saying that you just have to keep trying. POTD are as much about luck as competition. I am saying keep on trying. I had my first hole in one (golf) in July 1978 and I thought it was great and I would never get another one. It does not keep from playing golf. Lo and behold, April 2003 I had my second hole in one. I keep playing and waiting for my next hole in one.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:01 AM   #7

I understand the point that your making. Be patient! I will try...

Thanks for the advice

Simon