Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:17 PM   #1

Default New DSLR/Canon XS owner need some advice

Hey Guys,

I am new to the world of DSLR's Ive messed with my friends and liked it a lot so that's why I decided to go with the canon XS.

Now I got a new kit for a good deal so I have the kit lens but I wanted to get a couple other lenses. Namely a walk arround lens with nice zoom and a fisheye lens.

The 2 lenses im considering for my walk arround is the Canon 55-250mm IS IS f/4-5.6 or the Sigma 55-200mm now I am leaning toward the Canon because of the IS but The Sigma is less and I have heard its a good lens for what it is.

For my Fisheye I was thinking about the ZENITAR 16mm f/2.8 because I have heard good things about it but I am open to ther lenses if anyone else had any suggestions

I am really excited to get my camera and can't wait to start shooting.
DSF767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:28 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the canon 55-250 IS is a very nice telephoto lens for the money and pairs nicely with the 18-55 IS kit lens. I would suggest this lens as it is really a superb value.

i would probably advise against getting a fisheye, as they are fun to play with, but are awfully specialized. i would suggest going with a non-fish ultrawide. canon 10-22 or tokina 11-16 or sigma 10-20 are all good choices. you can always get a fisheye later, but i think you will use the ultra-wide more often as it is the most versatile of the 2.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:02 AM   #3

Yes, the Canon 55-250 IS is an excellent choice, but indications are that Tamron's 55-200 is better than Sigma's, and because Tamron has a $40 rebate until the end of the year, it's cheaper than Sigma's too.

What would you use it for? What do you want to shoot?

Last edited by TCav; Nov 6, 2009 at 8:09 AM. Reason: Corrected reference to Canon lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:59 AM   #4

I want to shoot a lot of landscapes and nature type shots. I am going on my honeymoon in 2 months in Jamaica so I want to do quite a bit of shooting out there of anything I can really. I am also going to be bring it to family events and other events that I go to. I want the canon 55-250mm or the 50-200mm as a nice zoom lens for where ever I go.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:30 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Yes, the Canon 55-250 IS is an excellent choice, but indications are that Tamron's 55-200 is better than Sigma's, and because Tamron has a $40 rebate until the end of the year, it's cheaper than Sigma's too.

What would you use it for? What do you want to shoot?
I think for slightly more money, the image stabilizer on the canon makes it worth it over either the sigma or tamron. the optics are quite great on the canon as well, for the price. i think the canon is probably the best buy in the bargain zooms due to the IS.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:32 AM   #6
Super Moderator

DSF, the 55-2xx are going to be quite long for a "walkaround lens"

you will want to bring your kit lens along for your landscapes and other such shots. however, both lenses are quite light, so bringing both in a small camera bag should be no problem.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:48 AM   #7

Yes I actually got an awesome deal on a bag that I found on amazon via slickdeals (great site bw) I got this bag

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

It is actually a copy of the Slingshot 100 so its a nice small bag i can fit my camera and a couple lenses into.

So I plan to have them all with me when I got shoot
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I think for slightly more money, the image stabilizer on the canon makes it worth it over either the sigma or tamron. the optics are quite great on the canon as well, for the price. i think the canon is probably the best buy in the bargain zooms due to the IS.
I agree that the Canon 55-250 IS is a great lens for the money, but at $135 (after rebate), the Tamron is almost half the price. If money is a significant concern, the Tamron wouldn't be a bad choice. And it would be a better choice than the Sigma.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:10 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I agree that the Canon 55-250 IS is a great lens for the money, but at $135 (after rebate), the Tamron is almost half the price. If money is a significant concern, the Tamron wouldn't be a bad choice. And it would be a better choice than the Sigma.
i would agree that the tamron is a better choice over the sigma (esp on canon body) and really both are good buys for the money. just nice to have the image stab on a slow tele if the op can afford it.