Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 18, 2003, 6:53 PM   #1

Default Canon S400 vs. Sony P10

Hey folks. I'm finally ready to get a decent digicam and is having problem deciding between the Canon S400 and the Sony DSC-P10. Besides the obvious 4 vs. 5 megapix, which is a better choice?

I really like everything about the Sony, but think the Canon actually takes better pictures? ... is this true?
DigiNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2003, 7:51 PM   #2
Administrator

I bought and returned a Sony DSC-P10 in early July. To say I was not "thrilled" with this model is an understatement. It's a very fast camera outdoors, but it's indoor performance just didn't "cut it" (and it's outdoor metering was also "off" - overexposing most shots, but it was better than the indoor metering).

If I had to choose between the 4MP Canon S400, and the 5MP Sony DSC-P10, I'd go with the Canon S400 every time.

You may want to consider the Minolta DiMAGE G500 instead of either of them (my latest "pocket cam").

It's selling for a little over $300.00 now from most online vendors, and IMO it's got the best balance of Physical Size, User Control of Features used most often, Flash Range, Autofocus Accuracy, Speed of Operation and Image Quality out of any of the "pocketable" models.

Even though it's a subcompact model, it's images are good enough to rival much larger 5MP cameras, too.

See this recent post from me, responding to someone else that purchased and returned a Sony P10:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6600492

BTW, I know of two users that have owned both the Canon S400, and the Minolta G500/Konica KD-510z. They both prefer the G500 (faster & more accurate autofocus in low light, better color tone, etc.). The Konica Revio KD-510z and the Minolta DiMAGE G500 are the same camera (they just market under different logos and model numbers in different markets). Konica and Minolta merged.

See the third post from the top in my pbase.com album forum at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z for links to their comments (the forum is underneath the photos on the main album page).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:03 AM   #3

Wow ... thank Jim for the reply! Lots of info
I'll definitely have to put the purchase on hold and do a little more research. Yup, it was looking at my cousin's P10 shots that prompted me to ask the question. I noticed the P10 images were some what out of focus and color slightly pale.
BTW, is the S400 Canon's most current model? ... is there replacement model coming up?
Also, how does the Canon SD100 compare w. the S400?

Thank again!
Old Nov 20, 2003, 3:39 AM   #4

... ok I'm fairly convinced w. the G500 now after spending the last 4 hours researching. Now, where's a good reputable to buy one cheaply? Also, has anyone seen the Minolta Leather or Soft case for the G500? Any good?
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:14 AM   #5
Administrator

Sorry, I don't own a case for mine (I usually carry it in my front pants pocket, so I haven't bothered to buy a case).

I want it ready to "take a photo on a moments notice", so I don't want to worry about needing to remove it from a case to use it.

As for reputable vendors, make sure to use BOTH http://www.resellerratings.com and http://www.bizrate.com when selecting a vendor.

Make sure the vendor you choose has LOTS of good customer feedback (some of the vendors are "Scam Artists", and will call you back pretending that something is wrong with your order, trying to get you to buy memory cards, spare batteries, extended warranties, etc., at drastically inflated prices). When you refuse the add-on's, your order never ships.

Avoid new dealers, too -- regardless of how nice their web site looks.

Here is list of vendors stocking it now:

http://shop.bizrate.com/marketplace/...ord--g500.html

Another tip: If you plan on buying Secure Digital Cards in sizes larger than 128mb, avoid Sandisk Cards. They are too slow to function reliably in the camera, and can cause a variety of problems (slower startup times, corrupted files, failure to format the card, etc.).

Konica-Minolta Japan recommends using only Panasonic or Toshiba Cards in 256mb size, and only Panasonic Secure Digital Cards in 512mb size. Panasonic's 256mb and 512mb Secure Digital Cards are rated at 10mb/Second.

If you buy any other brand (like Lexar, etc.), you are just getting a card made by one of the "Big 3" (Toshiba, Panasonic, Sandisk). These are the current manufacturers of Secure Digital. Other cards are just "rebranded" from one of them.

I plan on using only Panasonic or Simpletech Secure Digital in my camera in sizes over 128mb (Simpletech's Standard SD Cards in 256mb and 512mb are also 10MB/Second -- rebranded Panasonic).

Sandisk Manufacturered Cards in sizes over 128mb are NOT considered to be Compatible by Konica-Minolta Japan (with specific warnings on card errors from their 256mb cards), so be very careful buying Secure Digital. Sorry, it's in Japanese, but here is the compatibility chart. Basically, Panasonic makes the fastest standard Secure Digital Cards in larger sizes, and Sandisk Cards are too slow to function reliably.

I've also seen similiar problems in the new Minolta Z1 (audio sync problems, etc.) solved by using Panasonic SD cards in larger sizes.

http://ca.konicaminolta.jp/cgi-bin/c...product=rkd510

As far as Memory Stick Media, I'm using a Lexar 128mb x 2 (256mb total) in my camera with no problems. This card gives you another 128mb by moving a tiny switch on the card, and appears to be a standard 128mb Memory Stick to the camera.

Sony, Lexar or Sandisk Memory Stick media should work fine. However, Memory Stick Pro Media is not compatible (only the newer Sony Models will use Memory Stick Pro format).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 11:13 PM   #6

You've been a tremendous help once again Jim.
Thank you so much