Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:39 PM   #1

Default oh man another new guy :)

Im new. I just wanted to get on here and see about advice on a digital camera. im going to be in the market soon i hope to have one some time around christmas to start taking pictures. I have many ideas but it seems the more excited i get about one camera some one comes along and tells me about another camera that may be good. Many people i have asked like one camera and the next guy hates them or says the picture quality is bad or what ever.

Im going to be looking for a camera that is 3mp, it seems to be the most that i will ever need, im not a pro this is just for a beging hobby. maybe someday i will get crazy. I want to have manual control over the camera (apeture, shutter speed ) i want to be able to venture into useing the manual modes to have some fun. not sure if any more info is needed. I will be using it for outdoors mostly and some indoor stuff for just snap shots of people and cats and what not. the cameras that i have come up with are as follows.

-nikon coolpix 3100: sounds like a good camrea but i don't care for size of it, it does have many preset exposure settings but lacks a true manual setting, it could be good for me but not quite what im looking for.

-samusng v3: i think this is the camra for me, decent size but still small, a fully manual mode, and i can save my favorite settings. its got a vidio mode...not that i need it) and well allaround seems like a good choice for me..but i don't know that much about it and the samsung forum on here dosn't help me nore is there any reviews on it.

-panasonic dcm-lc33: looks like its a nice camer but to me feels kinda cheep. but then it also dosn't have a full manual mode.

if any one cares to help the new guy out while i scower the arcives for more info. any spacific camera that fits my needs. Thanks [/u]
peter-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:11 AM   #2

You can take a look at the Olympus Ultra Zoom models. I have the Oly C-740 UZ which has 10x Optical Zoom and full manual too! I have also appreciated the fact that the Oly C-740 UZ has a long battery life. I remember going on a trip and not having to replace a set of 4 AA NiMH's! That was 600+ photos and 3 days worth of photos, a third of which flash was used.

Here is the link:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c740uz.html

There's a better version of the cam, the Olympus C-750UZ, additions are a hotshoe, a remote, its 4 megapixel compared to the Oly C-740UZ's 3.2, and you can record movie with sound!

I hope I was helpful!
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:41 AM   #3

thanks for the input...though i forgot to say what my spending limit is. i really really want to stay under 300 bucks..something tells me they are already over priced as is but i could be wrong. im really having a hard time between digital and another film slr...

oh yea anyone have experience with fuji camras :?:
Old Nov 19, 2003, 1:11 AM   #4

I see. Well, you should also take into consideration spending $50-$100 in Memory Cards and extra batteries, so your budget for the camera alone should now be in the $200-$250 range.

Check this site out:
http://www.**********************

They have top ten lists in various categories, which I find really helpful, although they don't support all camera brands.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 8:56 AM   #5

<><
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 3:52 PM   #6

thanks for the link from ********************** theres some good stuff in there. Now im running into some other issues with some choices. how many mp do i need. 2,3,4 i really don't know if i need any more than 2 for most of the stuff i will be useing if for. but the down side to that is that most 2mp camras seem to be lacking the features of the 3+ mp cameras. with exception to the canon a60 wich seems suited for me. I really don't want to get a camera that i will grow out of, If i want to start printing pictures i don't want to fork out more dough for another higher mp camera. So many of the cameras have good and bad points to them, im new at the digital camera stuff, will i even notice small inperfections in a digital camera photograph. i just want the best i can get without having to upgrade any time soon.

I have found another i read about.

the canon G1...i can find one on ebay for a good price, anyone know about these.