Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 19, 2003, 9:50 AM   #1

Default Dimage 7i . Fast moving objects!

Can someone please tell me how to get good stop action of birds in flight with my Dimage 7i , Thanks!!!
fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:40 AM   #2
Administrator

That will all depend on the lighting conditions (how fast of a shutter speed the camera will be able to use).

For the fastest shutter speed (while insuring proper exposure), use Aperture Priority Mode, and choose the widest aperture (Smallest F-Stop Number) available for the Focal Length you're going to shoot at.

At 200mm equivalent (full zoom), this would be F3.5 for your camera model.

With this technique, your camera would have the setting that allowed the most light through the lens to the CCD Sensor, picking the fastest shutter speed (while insuring adequate exposure).

You may also find that using Manual Focus can help (depending on the distance to the bird), since this will reduce lag time, and it will be difficult for the camera to "lock focus" on a bird in flight.

Also, "Panning" with the action, will help to prevent blur.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 4:23 PM   #3

I find the sports action mode will give you the fastest shutter speed available. It is easy and quick to access with the button just to the left of the ďPĒ button. Just push it twice if you have a grab shot that involves action. Make sure to push the P button when you are through.

The wider aperture that gives faster shutter speed makes the focus more critical. Sometimes you do better with things like birds to pan with them and use the normal program speeds. Make sure to continue the pan after you release the shutter as there is a slight lag in the EVF presentation. Also give the subject some extra lead.

The continuous focus in your camera is a very nice feature. It isnít on by default as it uses more battery. You can depress the shutter halfway to pre-focus and the camera will continue to focus right up to shutter release. That reduces your lag time considerably and gives the camera a better chance to focus on the object. It canít keep up with objects moving directly toward or away from you at more than about 10 MPH, but it works well in most situations. It is especially handy for kids, gatherings etc. The continuous focus is one of the features I really miss on my pocket camera. The camera is a battery hog even without the continuous focus on, so I always carry spare batteries.

I donít find manual focus works very well for moving subjects with that camera. You have to magnify the image in the EVF to manually focus accurately and that diminishes your field of view too much to follow most action or adequately frame the shot. The flex focus would be good if you didnít want the bird in the center of the image, but you usually donít have time to screw with it. Do make sure to pay attention to what the regular focus locks on though Ė it is the red rectangle in the viewfinder.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 4:53 PM   #4

A related feature I forgot to mention is the little wheel beside the shutter release. In program mode it scrolls quickly through all of the aperture / shutter speed combinations available. I hardly ever use aperture or shutter priority in that camera. You can quickly scroll to the largest aperture or slowest shutter available for the focal length you have selected. And of course everything in between. Again remember to push the ďPĒ button when you are finished with the selected aperture/speed.

In the case of an action shot you would want to scroll it to the fastest shutter speed.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 5:57 PM   #5

Default Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
A related feature I forgot to mention is the little wheel beside the shutter release. In program mode it scrolls quickly through all of the aperture / shutter speed combinations available. I hardly ever use aperture or shutter priority in that camera. You can quickly scroll to the largest aperture or slowest shutter available for the focal length you have selected. And of course everything in between. Again remember to push the “P” button when you are finished with the selected aperture/speed.

In the case of an action shot you would want to scroll it to the fastest shutter speed.
fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote