Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:39 PM   #1

Default Narrowing down for my first digital

Hi,

Well, Im another one of these which one to buy. But as you surly know, its a jungle out here and as Im new at this its kinda hard to know what to buy.. Anyway, Im in the market to buy a digital camera as its very hard to get good "normal" pictures own my 10-month old boy. The things I want in the camera is 5mp, should be small (pocket size) and it should be easy to use. The ones I have been looking somewhat at is:

* Sony DSC-V1
* Sony DSC-P10 (or P92?)
* Canon Powershot S50
* Olympus C5000

Which one would you recommend or warn against? Which one is the best (if there is something like that). I know there is a price difference and you usually get what you pay for but is it true in these cases? Is there any other you would recommend?

Well, that enough for a start Thanks in advance!!!
matswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:53 PM   #2
Administrator

You may want to see my response in this thread concerning the P10.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=16894

As far as your other choices, the Sony DSC-V1 is a very good choice (unlike the DSC-P10, the V1 is Sony's new "Flagship" compact camera, with much more user control, better flash, good noise profiles, and one of the best autofocus systems around). Phil Askey has a good review of this model at http://www.dpreview.com

However, it's not what I would consider to be pocketable (ditto for the rest of the cameras on your list), unless you have large pockets, and I'm not personally fond of it's ergonomics.

I'd take a close look at the new Minolta G500, too. Also, don't go by reviews only. Check out these cameras in person, at a real store. See how each one feels to you (build quality, ergonomics, speed of operation, LCD Display, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 1:22 PM   #3

IMO the V1 is the camera of choice in that group. The P10 and P92 are point and shoot cameras. The Canon S50 and C5000 are full featured like the V1 but donít have as much zoom range. The V1 looks good in tests and sample photos.

The Sonys take Memory Stick and the Oly xD cards. Both are overpriced compared to the CF card in the Canon. You are more likely to get another camera or device that takes CF unless you plan to get a Sony camcorder. The xD cards are not likely to be used in anything but Oly and Fuji products.

The Sonys have a 640 X 480 sound movie mode that is much better than the 320 X 240 on the others. It doesnít replace a camcorder but often all you have is the camera.

When your boy turns into a perpetual motion rugrat you would find the continuous focus on the Minolta F300 to be very useful. My big Minolta has it and my little pocket camera doesnít. I really notice the difference getting shots of the grandkids. It is also handy for gatherings and parties.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 4:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will look out for the P10, it might not be my first choice then. As it seems the P92 is almost the same camera. I have looked around at the G500 and I must say that it has taken a place on the list. It seems like a good choice.

The thing is that I have a Sony PC101e (video) so it might be natural to buy a Sony in order to use the memory sticks in both, but I dont want this to be my only choice. Both the F300 and G500 does take those Memory Sticks though.

Its interesting that both of you recommed the V1. Its the more expensive though and I guess it is in its on league perhaps. I thought the S50 would get some remarks.

Well, that adds 2 more on my list.. Not exactly what I had in mind but thanks anyway... Keep em comming....
matswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 4:27 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matswe
Both the F300 and G500 does take those Memory Sticks though.
No. The Minolta DiMAGE F300 will not use Memory Sticks.

The newer Minolta DiMAGE G500 will use Memory Sticks (standard Memory Sticks, not Memory Stick Pro).

Basically, Konica was the first company (other than Sony) to use Memory Stick Media. The Konica KD-310z, KD-400z, KD-410z, KD-500z, and KD-510z can all use both Standard (non-Pro) Memory Stick and Secure Digital Media.

Konica and Minolta merged to form Konica-Minolta. The Konica Revio KD-510z and Minolta DiMAGE G500 are the same cameras. Because of brand loyalty, marketing considerations, etc., Konica-Minolta chose to market this new model under the Minolta label in the United States, and under the Konica label in other parts of the world.

The F300 is an older Minolta product (developed prior to the merger), and will not use Sony Memory Sticks. The Minolta G500 is a newer model (developed by Konica engineers). It will use Memory Sticks (as long as they are the standard Memory Sticks up to 128mb in size).

Only newer Sony products will use the new Memory Stick Pro format (older Sony products are not compatible with Memory Stick Pro either).

BTW, I know of a user that dropped his Minolta F300 from some bleachers, and needed a replacement camera. I suggested he try the new Minolta G500 instead. He was hesitant, so I suggested he buy it from a vendor with a no restocking fee policy, to see if he liked it better.

He took me up on my suggestion. This is what he said:

"I did what you mentioned. I got the G500 for a couple of days, used it, and loved it. Compared to the F300, it's faster, the photos have a greater range of tones, it's sturdier and easier to use. I've even played with a few of the images with Photoshop Elements, and the enhanced version I create still is outmatched by the original.--which really surprised me. Thanks for the great information, and for leading me to the details on how to customize the menu options.

Ken"

See the posts from user 1574kc in this thread at megapixel.net:

http://www.megapixel.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8536
Old Nov 20, 2003, 5:17 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matswe
Its interesting that both of you recommed the V1. Its the more expensive though and I guess it is in its on league perhaps. I thought the S50 would get some remarks.
The V1 uses a unique laser assist "hologram" focus system that is very fast. It's image quality is also excellent, and it has the ability to take external lens accessories (filters, teleconverters, etc.), and Sony External Flash Units.

So, from my point of view, if you want a larger camera, why not get one that is faster, with the ability to use external accessories? Although, I'm personally not fond of the V1 ergonomics.

As for the S50, it has more chromatic aberrations (purple fringing) than the older 4 Megapixel S45. Basically, Canon upgraded the sensor, without upgrading the lens. This sells cameras, since most people assume more megapixels=higher quality.

Actually, 4 Megapixels is plenty for most users, and sometimes a 4 Megapixel Model can produce better looking images, depending on how well the lens is matched to the sensor.

BTW, make sure to see my previous post on Memory Stick compatibility.

Finally, make sure to try the cameras out in a store (build quality, focus speed, cycle times, LCD, etc.). Never make a decision based on reviews alone. Likewise, never make a decision based strictly on user opinions. Chances are, they are biased (including mine).

You'll need to decide what camera is right for you. No camera is perfect for everyones needs.