Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:08 PM   #1

Default Sony DSC-F828 Settings help

I take pictures for my High School newspaper and one of the events that I must cover is some of our Home Basketball Games. I'm fairly new with this camera as it was given to me by my uncle who never took pictures in my situation.

I do have a Sony Flash Attachment (Model No. HVL-F32X)

My question is, how should I setup the camera to get clear and decent pictures?

When on automatic, the pictures come out too dark..

I'm usually sitting courtside or a maximum of 5 rows away from the court.
piotrmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:28 PM   #2

Please help!! Next game is Wednesday night !!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:31 PM   #3

Default Which settings to use for an Indoor Basketball Game - Sony DSC-F828

I take pictures for my High School newspaper and one of the events that I must cover is some of our Home Basketball Games. I'm fairly new with this camera as it was given to me by my uncle who never took pictures in my situation.

I do have a Sony Flash Attachment (Model No. HVL-F32X)

My question is, how should I setup the camera to get clear and decent pictures?

When on automatic, the pictures come out too dark..

I'm usually sitting courtside or a maximum of 5 rows away from the court.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:57 PM   #4
Super Moderator

to be quite honest its going to be very difficult to shoot indoor high school basketball with a digicam. at least the action shots.

that really requires a dslr and some fast good lenses.

you can work around this and still get some shots worth printing, by trying to focus on other aspects of the game. get a shot of the team during timeout with the flash. get some shots of star players before and after the game. get some wide-angle shots of the court, and scoreboard shots. tripod could be helpful here.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:14 PM   #5

The shots wont be printed in high quality.. It's going to be printed in a newspaper...

I mean.. I dont need THAT action shots.. But our PG is the 2nd ranked in the state.. So a picture of him taking the ball up the court would be perfect for our next issue which will include "Athlete of the Month"

Edit: I only use "Auto" mode... I did a bit of a search and I noticed people recommend using "shutter speed" priority modes.. So I set my camera to "S" for shutter speed priority setting and I put the shutter speed all the way up which is what the manual says to do when shooting a moving subject.. What else do I have to set? Exposure? Iso?

Last edited by piotrmir; Dec 20, 2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:23 PM   #6

The HVL-F32X is fairly powerful. So, you will have to depend on your flash and Auto ISO to get the needed photos. If you can be on the court sidelines your positioning will be much better, as the camera to subject distance is reduced.

This is really a photo situation that seems to require a DSLR camera with a wide aperture lens. But since this is a make do situation, and you have to come home with the bacon, give it a shot or your best try. The best of luck to you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:30 PM   #7

Thank you for the advice.. Should I set the HVL-F32X to any recommended setting? Or leave it on Auto?

Last edited by piotrmir; Dec 20, 2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:12 AM   #8
Super Moderator

As you have an f2.8 lens at the long end you have half a chance of getting an OK shot without flash depending on how well lit the gym is. You will need to use manual ISO and set it to 800 and use Aperture Priority not Shutter Priority as mentioned. With the lens at the widest setting set the aperture to f2 then as you zoom your camera will keep the aperture as wide as possible, this will allow the lens to let as much light as possible into the camera. Use continuous focus and continuous shoot to allow you to capture about 2.5 frames per second for a couple of seconds.

Next is moving on from this an using flash if you are allowed during a game. Here I would suggest using Shutter Priority so you get a higher shutter speed than is needed for the lighting conditions. Still use ISO 800 and after seeing what settings the camera has selected when shooting in Aperture Priority I would double it. I'm honestly expecting you will get about 1/50s without flash but I don't know the gym so could be wrong, but if you do then with the flash go for 1/100s.

Before Wednesday I would get into the Gym and do some practise shots using a friend as a target.

As has already been mentioned you are really stretching the camera past it's limits so you are going to struggle.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Before Wednesday I would get into the Gym and do some practise shots using a friend as a target.
Excellent advice. Do it!

Try panning with the action. Practice that before Wednesday. A lot. You will still have motion blur in the ball, feet, and hands but might have everything else about the player blur free.

Shoot a lot. Your chances of getting a usable shot is much better with a 1000 shots than with 50.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:30 PM   #10

Using the gym before or after school hours is not an option, therefore I'll have to experiment.

@Mark1616, I am allowed to use a flash and I will try both of your recommendations. When you state 1/50's and 1/100s, is that the Shutter setting? Or?