Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 23, 2003, 2:48 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
The F300 is the only compact I know of that has continuous tracking focus. The camera is particularly fast if you pre-focus and the tracking focus makes that practical with moving objects.
The F300 is a great camera, with lots of nice features, and great manual control. IMO, it's lens is also the best lens available in any subcompact camera.

But, you don't need the tracking focus on the newer Minolta G500. It's plenty fast enough as it is in lower light.

See this quote from an F300 user, that needed a replacement camera. I suggested he try the new Minolta G500 instead.

"I did what you mentioned. I got the G500 for a couple of days, used it, and loved it. Compared to the F300, it's faster, the photos have a greater range of tones, it's sturdier and easier to use. I've even played with a few of the images with Photoshop Elements, and the enhanced version I create still is outmatched by the original.--which really surprised me. Thanks for the great information, and for leading me to the details on how to customize the menu options. "

See the posts from user 1574kc in this thread at megapixel.net:

http://www.megapixel.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8536

BTW, see some KD-510z (Minolta G500) samples from Konica Japan here (outdoor building, outdoor portrait, indoor incadescent light with with no flash, 2 second exposure night photo with noise reduction):

http://www.pbase.com/kd510z

I think Ken said it best about in his posts at megapixel.net, about how great the "out of the camera" photos are from the G500, when he said "I've even played with a few of the images with Photoshop Elements, and the enhanced version I create still is outmatched by the original".

As you can see from the followup posts from Snowboarder (a new Minolta G400 owner, and a Canon EOS-10D dSLR owner), I probably offended him with my comments that I think the exposure, color saturation, range of colors, skin tones, etc., are better from my under $400.00 subcompact 5 Megapixel Konica KD-510z (Minolta G500), compared to his EOS-10D, costing 5 times as much + lens costs -- but I really think they are.

Of course, the dSLR is a better choice (especially when you use RAW mode for maximum flexibility), but for most print sizes, with the least post processing fuss, the G500 is great.

Judge for yourself:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6731212
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 2:59 PM   #12
Administrator

P.S.

See this forum post on the Casio QV-R40, versus the Minolta G500:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6697876

Also, another drawback I'd see to the Casio, is it's lack of manual exposure, or longer exposures. The G500 would let you use an exposure of up to 15 seconds, with automatic noise reduction on exposures of 1/2 second or longer (in either autoexposure or manual exposure modes).

The G500 also has a Night Portrait Flash mode, missing on the Casio (this allows longer exposures to brighten a background, with the flash used to help freeze the action for your closer portraits at night).

Another advantage to the G500 is it's slow shutter speed settings. This comes in handy, if you want to set to the camera to use faster (or slower) shutter speeds indoors with flash, without resorting to manual exposure (you can vary it from 1/8, up to 1/125 second with flash).

Without flash, you also have some choices, as to how slow of a shutter speed the camera will use with autoexposure (down to 1 second with autoexposure). With manual exposure, you can go as slow as 15 seconds (with noise reduction).

I also like the customizable controller keys on the G500, as well as the user profile settings (allowing you to setup profiles, with ISO speed, contrast, saturation, sharpness, color, and more).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 3:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Getting the optics as sharp and clear as possible under all different zoom and focus conditions, and getting the metering and color balance correct are the primary hurdles. The camera companies have been at this for decades. I think the reviews support this.
Its still a small electronics device though. And my comments were not meant as the be all and end all - it was another way of looking at things. And to be fair - some of the very established camera makers have produced some dire products going by the reviews I have read.
Quote:
And before you say that has no bearing on the consumer level lines... I would argue that of course it does. When a company invests millions in R&D developing their high-end line, they're not just going to throw that out and start over when they design their consumer-level products.
As they only make consumer level cameras its probably fair to assume that they have put a lot of r&d into them. I could go on but Im going to leave it there. It was not a comment designed to spark a large scale debate, it was, as I said, just another way of looking at things. A sideways view if you like.
ralphuk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 3:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Also, another drawback I'd see to the Casio, is it's lack of manual exposure, or longer exposures. The G500 would let you use an exposure of up to 15 seconds, with automatic noise reduction on exposures of 1/2 second or longer (in either autoexposure or manual exposure modes).
I'd agree with that. the G500 does offer better features, but not everybody needs them. For the purpose I bought the QV-R40 it more than fulfills the criteria. I can actually customise the 4way control on the back. But the ergonomics are so good I have not felt any need to touch it. Everything seems to be where you would want it straight away.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:42 PM   #15

I've got a little problem I can't find anywere the Konica KD-510z (Minolta G500) in Poland
posyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 10:49 AM   #16

the casio cameras uses pentax lens , which they have used for there optio n the other series which are quite similar to the casio qv - r3/r4
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 12:08 PM   #17

aman - is that definite about pentax? as my qv-r40 does not have the brand on the lense, the z3/z4 do say pentax on them though.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphuk100
aman - is that definite about pentax? as my qv-r40 does not have the brand on the lense, the z3/z4 do say pentax on them though.

im not sure bout the qv - r40 , but the exilim models ( z3/z4 ) n the qv- r3/r4 use the pentax lens , thats the reason ppl prefer them over the qv-r40 . qv - r4 has been one of the best casio models ever n it is also one of the most sellin ones -- the reason for this is it has an amzin pic quality , durability n stylish too , and has a relevantly good lcd though the viewfinder is screwed up .
qv - r40 is also a good camera but it doesnt have a good shutter speed , thats the reason its not on my fav list .
till where i no the qv - r40 has a unbranded lens , but im not sure bout that , y dont ya juss check it out -- on the manual or a dealer
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 6:56 AM   #19

I think it is probably an unbranded lense as the manual just says lense is equal to.....

Im not sure what difference it makes though as having seen pics from z3/z4 first hand they are not as good as my qv-r40, definitely more noise and granier at low light.

I agree though - the shutter settings are pretty poor. However - for what I use it for (point and click) its excellent. Im saving up for a "proper" digital camera now