Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 23, 2003, 3:34 AM   #11

I personally like the Picture It upgrade Digital Image Pro. Still very basic (as am I) but has the ability to do fun things and you can learn a lot on it before going on to the big time. Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:47 PM   #12
lg

If you want to quickly make minor adjustments in exposure, saturation, remove redeye, cropping and resizing, CompuPic should do just fine for your editing needs. If you need to remove objects or do advanced editing, you should consider PaintShop Pro or PhotoShop. If somebody knows of a package that's quicker and easier to use than CompuPic and also includes utils for posting to the web, screensaver, slideshows and batch conversions, please let me know!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 11:02 PM   #13

I highly recommend Paint Shop Pro 7 Anniversary Edition.
I see that you can "Buy it Now" new on Ebay for $39.00 from Jasc Software Inc. See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...p;category=182

You get alot of "bang" for your buck with this program! I purchased mine for $80. and still would recommend it at that price.

It has a strong user base and thus, you will find some great online tutorials, as well as forums out there for this program.
Each time I use it, I learn something new. Great program for which I can not praise enough.

Good luck,
~Kate
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 1:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by informativetoo
I highly recommend Paint Shop Pro 7 Anniversary Edition.
I see that you can "Buy it Now" new on Ebay for $39.00 from Jasc Software Inc. See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4&category=182
I second that. I would have recommended Paint Shop Pro already in this thread, but didn't realise that you could still buy v7. I have v7.04 which is excellent, but no experience of the current, relatively expensive v8.

PSP7 is not ideal as a quick viewer and image utility, for which I recommend the free Irfanview, as many others have done,
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:38 AM   #15

Along this same topic, does anyone know of a good (free) photo editing software (besides IrfanView) that would crop a picture to a preset size. Example: Let's say you want to do a 4x6 print. I would just like to select "Crop - 4x6"

Thank you
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 1:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrmseKpr
Along this same topic, does anyone know of a good (free) photo editing software (besides IrfanView) that would crop a picture to a preset size. Example: Let's say you want to do a 4x6 print. I would just like to select "Crop - 4x6"

Thank you
Irfanview will not allow you to set a pre-crop dimension to the crop. You canít crop an image from your digital camera to 4 X 6 and retain the aspect ratio any way I know of without trial and error.

Photoshop lets you pre-determine the crop size and maintains the proportion you set with the crop tool. I assume Elements does this as well and would be the cheapest program I know of that does that.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe

Irfanview will not allow you to set a pre-crop dimension to the crop. You canít crop an image from your digital camera to 4 X 6 and retain the aspect ratio any way I know of without trial and error.

Photoshop lets you pre-determine the crop size and maintains the proportion you set with the crop tool. I assume Elements does this as well and would be the cheapest program I know of that does that.
Yeah, neither will Microsoft's Digital Image Pro. I'm not trying to reduce the photo to 4x6 so aspect ratio is not the issue. I know that when I go into Wal-Mart, CVS, Costco, etc... and order a 4 x6 print part of the photo will get cut. What I want to do is see which part of the photo will print at 4x6 I wish I had an example to show right now, but I don't (I'm at work). Does that make sense?

Thank you
Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:14 PM   #18

Does anyone know anything about StudioLine PhotoBasic?

http://download.com.com/3000-2204-10237705.html

I am at work and can not install software (locked down by sysadmin) so I can't try it out.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:17 PM   #19
Administrator

Compupic has a great cropping tool. Download the free trial and try it:

http://www.photodex.com/products/com.../features.html

Also, Epson Film Factory has a super cropping tool (allowing you to crop for both composition and printing). Download the free trial and try it, too:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/F...seBVCookie=yes

Although not mentioned in it's feature list, it does a lot more things than meets the eye.

I've used it for years for printing album pages at home (I always print my own, versus using a service). I like it because it lets me position photos of any size/dimension on album pages, without the need to conform to standard print sizes, and includes many templates. It also allows you to place text boxes anywhere on the pages, for comments, etc.

It also has many print options for other types of photo printing (proof sheets,greeting cards, standard prints, etc., and keeps your photos organized in albums, to make it easy to select the photos you want in the templates (or select the photos for editing -- cycling through the ones you mark).

After selecting an Image, you can can select a "Trim" option under the Retouch Menu.

It allows you to select the desired Aspect Ratio from a drop down list under the photo. The crop box then maintains this selected Aspect Ratio.

You can resize the Crop Box as desired (pulling on corners/sides), moving it around the photo -- while maintaining the selected Aspect Ratio.

When you are finished, just click on the Trim Button at the bottom of the photo.

You have a choice of these aspect ratios for use with this feature:

Free Ratio (you can change it around as desired)
Image Ratio (maintains the same ratio as the original image)
3:4
2:3
9:16 (APS H Type Ratio)
1:3 (useful for Panoramas)

You can download a 30 day trial version, and if you decide you like it, purchase it for $29.95.

Compupic has more aspect ratio choices, though. Download both and give 'em a try.

If you purchased Epson products in the past, you may already Film Factory (it came with either an Epson Printer or Camera I bought).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:28 PM   #20
Administrator

P.S. - Also see this thread on cropping and printing:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...t=film+factory
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote