Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrmseKpr
Yeah, neither will Microsoft's Digital Image Pro. I'm not trying to reduce the photo to 4x6 so aspect ratio is not the issue. I know that when I go into Wal-Mart, CVS, Costco, etc... and order a 4 x6 print part of the photo will get cut. What I want to do is see which part of the photo will print at 4x6 I wish I had an example to show right now, but I don't (I'm at work). Does that make sense?
It makes good sense. Most photofinishers just trim an equal amount off the top and bottom to print a 4 X 6 from a standard digital shot. If the shot isn’t perfectly centered it is best to crop yourself. It is often better to crop a little more for many shots. The optical viewfinder in smaller and/or cheaper cameras usually shows only 80-85% of the image, so you get more than you framed and the shot often looks better cropped back down.

StudioLine Basic lists “Print images in preset standard sizes”, so I presume it will do what you want: http://www.studioline.net/EN/downloa...ic/default.htm So it appears you have indeed found a freeware that will do what you want.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 6:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
StudioLine Basic lists “Print images in preset standard sizes”, so I presume it will do what you want: http://www.studioline.net/EN/downloa...ic/default.htm So it appears you have indeed found a freeware that will do what you want.
I also found out that Ofoto and Shutterfly will do this, but I guess the downside is that you would have to upload all your images to their site and do the editing there.

I also found JPEGCrops
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 8:59 AM   #23
Administrator

BTW, some online processors also offer "Digital Size Prints", so that they don't crop your photos.

Photoaccess.com is one of them.

I keep some of my albums there, since the offer free, unlimited album space.

Here's an example of an album I have at photoaccess.com:

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/gue...E803868F&cb=PA
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
BTW, some online processors also offer "Digital Size Prints", so that they don't crop your photos.
I prefer the 4/3 digital ratio for aesthetics. I often put four 4 X 51/4 shots on a single sheet of paper. Combined with refilling my ink I get photos for less than 5c. I usually prefer 5 X 7 though and can only get two on a sheet.

The reason for the wide format in 35mm is that movie film was used in the first 35mm cameras. They standardized on the movie format and never changed it. Other film formats were designed for still images and none are that wide compared to the height.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote