Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 21, 2003, 8:30 PM   #1

Default canon a70 for a first time buyer

Ok well i have been looking and looking and I will probably look for another month or so. I want a good camera without going over 300 ( i do know other accesories will cost more )

I like verything that the canon a70 is but i have found that it is lacking in some areas that i may use it for. such as indoor snap shots, and it also had something like purple fringing....not sure if i got that right?

Will a new guy really notice that much, I want good pictures but it seems that every camera i look at has a problem. will i notice problems on the a70 or will the minolta f200 really be that slow?

the reason i bring up these cameras is because they seem to be the only ones with the features i want. im really looking at the minolta but the canon and its lense adapters and such are really making me have a hard time picking one.
peter-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:15 PM   #2
Administrator

Buy the A70 and don't worry about what others say. It is an excellent camera that uses standard AA batteries and CF type memory cards - both plentiful and cheap now. And yes, Canon makes a great lens too.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 7:34 PM   #3

I bought my A70 about 3 months ago and couldnít be happier and highly recommend it.

My current photographic skill level is, wellÖ none, and whenever I move it of ďAutoĒ, mostly I get un-viewable shots that make me want to throw something. (Never the camera...)

The thing is I feel like itís flexible enough to keep me interested in point and shoot mode while I slowly figure out what the heck an f-stop and other things areÖ It will be quite some time until my abilities will catch up to whatever technical limitations the camera might have.

If I had one regret, itís your typical 'obsolete-by-the-time-you-get-home' thing when buying any technology. Specifically, Iím drooling over the A80ís flip-out-and-around LCD.

Rob
rmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 7:56 PM   #4

ďIf I had one regret, itís your typical 'obsolete-by-the-time-you-get-home'Ē
- I donít see how. For two years Iíve owned a Kodak DX3215 and itís still a great digital camera. I only recently gave it to my bro in favour of the A70 model since I needed something with manual features, which really makes a difference for my needs.

Unless you practice with whatever camera you buy, it wonít matter how much you spend youíll always get bad photos. Iíve only owned the A70 for 4 days now, but it has definitely lived up to my expectations thus far. As Steve said, just get it. Try it and if you donít like it return it back to the store before the sale return policy expires. Itís an all-around camera, good for both indoors and outdoors. Master the features and you will be taking excellent photos. My only advice is that you get a tripod for the camera. In most cases, especially indoors, you'll want to have longer exposures. Now unless you have hands of steel, the last thing you'll want is blurry (shaky) pictures.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 8:17 PM   #5

well i went and looked at the camera today...i was bored so i went looking. It seems to have all the features i like. I probably will go with it..but it seems very pasticy...cheap felling..the knobs and switches felt like i was going to break them. I know i won't be able to get a camera of steel and most people don't want a heavy camera..but man i feel ike i was going to break the thing..the A80 did feel a little better but the LCD was very tiny and i dont need 4 mp or even a swiveling lcd. I hope i can understand that plastic is ok by the time i get one....but before then i will look for one that feels better to me. ya never know...i could end up with at A70 :!:
Old Nov 28, 2003, 8:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Buy the A70 and don't worry about what others say. It is an excellent camera that uses standard AA batteries and CF type memory cards - both plentiful and cheap now. And yes, Canon makes a great lens too.

-Steve
Iíll not be dumb enough to argue with someone who tests as many cameras as you, but Iím curious why you prefer it to the Minolta 414. It also uses CF and AAs but is 4Mp and has a 4X zoom and metal body for about the same price as the A70. All the tests looked pretty good.

Iím also a big fan of continuous focus, but I seem to be the only one who thinks it is a great feature.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 1:07 AM   #7

I wouldn't worry about the a70 looking and feeling like a cheap plastic toy camera. I almost talked myself out of buying one for that reason but I am glad I didn't. Canon cameras seem to be pretty tough including the a70. They do pretty well surviving rough treatment and being droped. The only things that I have heard kill a canon camera as far as rough treatment is dropping it on the lens while it is extended or dropping it in water. They are a lot tougher than they look and feel.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 3:42 PM   #8

If it felt light and cheap, it didn't have any batteries in it. I know this sounds weak but, I think most A70 owners will agree that, once you put 4AA batteries in this camera, it feels VERY substantial.
I've had mine since August of this year and, I love it. I haven't had any problems with it and, it gets plenty of use.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 8:45 PM   #9

...stuped me it didn't have any batteries ...how dumb can i get. Any way it did feel nice with a little weight in it. and it seems much more solid than the nikon coolpix 4300.