Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:14 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I use Picasa, Gimp, and sometimes BibblePro. The first two are free.
If you haven't seen the announcements, Bibble 5 Pro was just released. It's got lots of neat new features, and it's *very* fast. Some of the benchmarks I just looked at showed it to be two to three times as fast as Adobe Lightroom at common tasks like importing images and creating previews, navigating to the next zoomed in image when browsing through them, and exporting to tiff (using a fast Core i7 Based PC for testing).

It's also cross platform (Mac, Windows, Linux).

http://www.bibblelabs.com/products/bibble5/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:27 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Bibble 5 does look interesting, and for Linux users is probably the only game in town.

It doesn't do all of what LR does, but it might be good enough for a lot of users. But it's not much cheaper than LR, and as a Windows or Mac user I can't see any real reason why I would use it instead of LR, and lots of reasons not to.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:35 AM   #13
Administrator

Try it. ;-)

I prefer the rendering of images from my Sony from Bibble, as compared to Adobe products. For example, by default, you tend to get more of a "blotchy" type noise pattern from Adobe products at higher ISO speeds, versus a finer grain pattern with Bibble. This is probably going to vary by camera.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:58 AM   #14
Administrator

P.S. -- and note that Bibble 5 is not the same as Bibble 4.

The new version has a *lot* of new features, including some very nice asset management features, as well as a lot of new editing features.

I've been experimenting with the Bibble 5 Previews (beta versions) for about 6 months now, keeping an eye on it's progress.

You can download a trial to see how you like it. They should also be releasing a lower cost "Lite" version soon.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:11 AM   #15
Administrator

For those of you looking for free software, in addition to the ones already mentioned in this thread, here are a few more products you may want to try:

Raw Therapee

PhotoScape

Faststone Image Viewer
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:19 AM   #16
Administrator

For those of you that use Linux, make sure to try the latest version of digiKam, making sure to install the latest Kipi plugins. Version 1.0.0 was just released within the past couple of weeks.

It's much faster at many operations, and it's got lots of new features, including vastly improved batch operations.

There is also a project that allows it to be used on Windows. But, I haven't tried it that way yet.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
For those of you that use Linux, make sure to try the latest version of digiKam, making sure to install the latest Kipi plugins. Version 1.0.0 was just released within the past couple of weeks.

It's much faster at many operations, and it's got lots of new features, including vastly improved batch operations.

There is also a project that allows it to be used on Windows. But, I haven't tried it that way yet.
Thanks! I'll have to give that a shot. I wasn't too impressed with previous versions. I don't like F-Shot. I've tried several others (Blue Marine is one that comes to mind) but, keep coming back to G-thumb and Picasa for management and Gimp for PP.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:58 AM   #18
Administrator

Make sure to install the new 1.0.0 version of showFoto, too (which has most of the editing functions of digiKam using the kipi plugins, without the album and asset management related features).
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:15 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Thanks! I'll have to give that a shot. I wasn't too impressed with previous versions. I don't like F-Shot. I've tried several others (Blue Marine is one that comes to mind) but, keep coming back to G-thumb and Picasa for management and Gimp for PP.
I've been impressed with digiKam's progress from the 0.9x versions (designed for use with KDE 3.5.x), to 0.10.0 (designed for KDE 4.x) to the latest 1.0.0 (also designed for use with KDE 4.x).

If you're using F-Spot, it sounds like you're probably using Gnome for your desktop. But, many distros that default to Gnome as the desktop still have digiKam and showFoto in their repos (although the latest 1.0.0 versions may not have made it to them yet).

I've been using digiKam 1.0.0 Beta 6 under the SimplyMEPIS 8.5 betas (now at 8.5 Beta 3) under KDE 4.3.4, and I've been very impressed. The digiKam developers even added a feature I requested two years ago (allowing the refocus algorithm for sharpening to be used in Batch Operations, in addition to the simple sharpening or USM choices). It took them long enough, but it's finally in there (along with lots of other new features, much improved speed and more). :-)
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I've been impressed with digiKam's progress from the 0.9x versions (designed for use with KDE 3.5.x), to 0.10.0 (designed for KDE 4.x) to the latest 1.0.0 (also designed for use with KDE 4.x).

If you're using F-Spot, it sounds like you're probably using Gnome for your desktop. But, many distros that default to Gnome as the desktop still have digiKam and showFoto in their repos (although the latest 1.0.0 versions may not have made it to them yet).

I've been using digiKam 1.0.0 Beta 6 under the SimplyMEPIS 8.5 betas (now at 8.5 Beta 3) under KDE 4.3.4, and I've been very impressed. The digiKam developers even added a feature I requested two years ago (allowing the refocus algorithm for sharpening to be used in Batch Operations, in addition to the simple sharpening or USM choices). It took them long enough, but it's finally in there (along with lots of other new features, much improved speed and more). :-)
I'm using Ubuntu 9.10, Jim. I just loaded up digiKam and, you're right... MAJOR improvements over the past versions. It's a keeper!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote