Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:29 AM   #1

Default Aperture Priority vs. DoF Auto

The Canon T1i has Aperture priority mode as well as Depth of Field Auto mode. Can anyone explain the difference, and suggest any scenarios when I would use one over the other?

I'm still going to try my hand at full manual, but sometimes "baby steps" are necessary and I may need to use some auto settings for assistance.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:04 AM   #2
Super Moderator

just use aperture priority.

when you want to isolate a subject from the background, i.e. let the background blur, use a larger aperture, or smaller fstop, depending on your lens, for consumer kit lens, this will be f3.5 or f4. you also want to use a larger aperture in lower light, to let more light in and increase shutter speeds.

if you are shooting a landscape, cityscape and you want more of the scene to be in focus, you will use a smaller aperture or a larger fstop, i.e. f16 etc.

with these things in mind you can fine tune as necessary, and you will not have to resort to using auto modes in which the camera makes the decision for you.

its just better to get in the habit now, or jump in head-first as they say. its the quickest way to learn and avoids bad habits.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:10 AM   #3

i agree and thats my intention. it just seems a bit redundant to have both modes.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:14 AM   #4

Keep asking the questions, fbords. I am also the fairly recent owner of a new Canon EOS 500D (aka T1i) and have been too much of a fraidy cat to get out of Auto so far. I'm reading the boards and learning as much as I can. The answers to your questions, as well as the questions of others who might be only lurking, are invaluable.
junipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:17 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipa View Post
Keep asking the questions, fbords. I am also the fairly recent owner of a new Canon EOS 500D (aka T1i) and have been too much of a fraidy cat to get out of Auto so far. I'm reading the boards and learning as much as I can. The answers to your questions, as well as the questions of others who might be only lurking, are invaluable.
nothing to be afraid of, we are a very welcoming place for ANY questions you may have. and always remember, if you have this question, there is a good chance someone else is wondering the same thing.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:12 PM   #6

This is, indeed, a particularly welcoming board and I've noticed none of the camera snobbery here that I've seen on my travels around other sites, despite many of the members here being light years ahead of me in equipment and experience. Not to mention talent.

That said, I might still continue to follow fbords around for a while longer. He/she has asked many of the questions I'm wondering about - even before I knew I was wondering!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:18 PM   #7

junipa,

Do not be afraid to leave Auto, it is digital. There is no cost for trying out new settings. If you do not like it, just hit delete. There is more you can achieve once you leave the green box and use Av, Tv, M and ADep. You have a great camera, don't be afraid to give it a good test drive. And welcome.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:22 PM   #8

Hi shoturtle. I'm thinking of trying out Av first - sort of ease myself out of my comfort zone gradually!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:23 PM   #9

Glad to hear it, enjoy your camera.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:13 AM   #10

learn to use aperture priority mode and then stick with it, i use it for 90% of my pics even action shots
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote