Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Default Lens Cleaning

While practicing with my new camera my sister's dog surprised me and left his wet nose print on the lense. It's a very obvious smear.

Is there any advice you can give about cleaning this? Would lense cleaner and a microfiber cloth be good enough to take care of it?
Amoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:25 PM   #2

In general. it takes a lot of dust, dirt, or nose moisture on a lens to degrade image quality. Lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth should do the trick, but so might a clean shirtsleeve.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
In general. it takes a lot of dust, dirt, or nose moisture on a lens to degrade image quality.
LOL! How true, how true!

I've always been a bit leery of lens cleaners as I once heard some can degrade the coatings manufacturers put on them. I have absolutely no idea if this is a very old "wive's tale" or if it applies to today's lens cleaners, but I've had no trouble with a little water (when needed) and a microfiber cloth.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:33 PM   #4

I also carry around a LensPen as well as a blower-bush, but when I sit down to clean lenses, I use distilled water and Q-Tips.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:17 AM   #5

I was worried about using a sleeve or just any cloth, I don't know how hardy the glass is to withstand any scratches... it also dried rather quickly as it is doggy snot so I think it will take more than a dry cloth. I'll give the cloth and some water a try, thanks!
Amoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:22 AM   #6

This is not advice, but a questions along these lines.... The drug store sells eye glass cleaners that are intended for one time use.

Each towelette is wet and is in a foil pouch. I have used these for years to clean my glasses and my computer screen. Would they be okay for emergency lens cleaning or even every day cleaning?

Faithfully yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:48 AM   #7

Just for sharing, you may want to read these 2 articles:
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008...ment-scratches
http://www.kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

It is quite astonishing to see the amount of abuse that lenses can take before image degradation. But I still wouldn't risk it and would take appropriate measures to protect my lenses by using a hood.

For cleaning, I have bought myself a Lenspen, Rocket air blower and a micro fibre cloth.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoux View Post
... I'll give the cloth and some water a try, thanks!
Use clean water. Distilled water evaporates without a residue. Tap water can leave a residue that might be worse than dried doggy snot.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
This is not advice, but a questions along these lines.... The drug store sells eye glass cleaners that are intended for one time use.

Each towelette is wet and is in a foil pouch. I have used these for years to clean my glasses and my computer screen. Would they be okay for emergency lens cleaning or even every day cleaning?
In a pinch, yes.

Don't reuse them. Make multiple passes, each over a different area of the lens, and each with a different part of the tissue.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:33 PM   #10

I am not a big fan of these. Leave one out for a day or so to dry out, and then see what it feels like. The ones I have used are paper, and are not at all soft when dry. It is only the cleaning fluid (which is isopropyl alcohol) which makes them seem flexible. I much prefer a soft cloth, such as microfiber or a well-worn cotton T-shirt. Alcohol is good for greasy dirt from fingerprints. Fogging the lens with your breath before wiping with cloth is fine for most non-abrasive dirt.
Lens coatings on glass lenses are pretty hard, but can be scratched by sand or grit. Otherwise, don't worry about rubbing them (softly, with a double thickness of cloth) to clean. I have a couple nearly 40-year old lenses that are still optically perfect (or as much so as they were new).

brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post

Faithfully yours,
FP
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote