Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
And a protective filter won't change or help this problem.
Well it changes the fact that he does not have to wipe his front glass From experience I have seen my friend wipe his lens with a micro cloth that had a tiny grain of something in it and yes it did mark the lens. Now it didnt affect the IQ because it was not enough to matter, but from a resale point of view some people will move to another lens that has no marks on the glass.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
Well it changes the fact that he does not have to wipe his front glass From experience I have seen my friend wipe his lens with a micro cloth that had a tiny grain of something in it and yes it did mark the lens. Now it didnt affect the IQ because it was not enough to matter, but from a resale point of view some people will move to another lens that has no marks on the glass.
I saved a $700 lens with a $70 dollar filter. It kind of paid for itself... Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:54 PM   #13

I'm definitely in the flip flop group for filters. All my lenses have filters on them, I just don't always leave the filters on the lens when shooting. Indoors shooting models, no filters but outdoors at the beach or the desert with the wind blowing the filters are on the camera.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:58 PM   #14

I have haze 1 filters on all my lenses when I am traveling, but I alway remove them before I install the hood and start shooting, useless I want the warming effect. So I use them for protection during transport. The screw down filters are more secure then the lens caps.

So I guess I am still in the don't us them for shooting camp.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:53 AM   #15

Default most of the time.

Its personal preference. That and how you shoot.

This day I was wiping the filter with my shirt by the end of the day.

I get alot of this. They like to park right next to you to shake. This was clean water, but its often mud and gunk. I believe I took the filter off this day..... To rinse it off under the faucet. Grass and weeds were shoulder high in some places and the hood (which was on) just acted like a funnel to guide it to the front element, which happened to be the filter.

I use Hoya HMC filters and effects are minor. They are tougher to clean than some, but they are reasonable in price and I just feel better rubbing them than multi thousand dollar lenses.

This lens doesn't take filters. It has one of those buldging front elements. The bank was nasty bramble and brush and the 7mm focal length means the dog is much closer than it appears. It makes me nervous.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 5:23 AM   #16

I use very good quality filters on my L lenses because I really cant afford to replace them, to be truthful I cant barely see any difference in the images unlike the ones posted earlier in this thread. However when I shoot a wedding or do any night photography I take them off.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 3:50 PM   #17

aladyforty-

Welcome back. It is good to see you posting again. We have missed you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
But get a high grade clear filter.
Hi shorturtle. I am with you on the UV filter... but what is a high grade "clear filter." Sorry for my ignorance on that. I thought UV was a clear filter.

Thanks.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:39 PM   #19

I am beginning to like the idea of a filter as well...but not sure what I should get...UV...ND..or polorizer...

Just because I can drop names, doesn't mean I know what in hell each is used for

all help appreciated...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
I am beginning to like the idea of a filter as well...but not sure what I should get...UV...ND..or polorizer...

Just because I can drop names, doesn't mean I know what in hell each is used for

all help appreciated...
Well, the idea of a filter simply to protect the lens, would leave out the ND and Polarizer, both of which have powerful effects on the image, and both of which cause a loss of a few stops. Of course if you Are using such a filter anyway... Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote