Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 23, 2003, 12:20 PM   #1

Default Video resolution of digicams

The new Canon A80 sounds like a great camera, but I can't believe that for $100 more the max video resolution is LESS than the A80's predecessor, the A70!

Now having never seen a 320x200 and a 640x480 video side by side, I'm wondering how noticible this difference is. Feedback please??

TIA,
Chris
Winner0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2003, 1:15 PM   #2

Steve often has video clips in the sample photos of reviews. He has samples of both the A70 and A80. The A70 looks jerky so Iím guessing the frame rate is 15. What you want is 640 X 480 with a frame rate of 30. 640 X 480 is a lot nicer but the jerky picture on the A70 is distracting.

Hit Alt+Enter to go full screen in the Windows Media Player. The difference between the large and small image is dramatic.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 1:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I watched the videos plus the video from the Canon SD100 which I'm also looking at. There is definitely a noticible difference between low res and the higher res. I frankly think it's terrible that Canon would come out with the A80 which is superior to the A70 in every way but has poorer movie modes. For this reason I won't be buying the A80.

15 frames per second is what all the Canon cameras (or at least the A70, A80 and SD100) seem to have. Does anyone know of any good cameras with 30 fps video modes?

TIA,
Chris
Winner0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 5:32 PM   #4

Some of the Fujis have 640 X 480 30fps movies.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 8:44 PM   #5

I wouldn't dismiss a camera just on movie performance. But there were other things about the A80 I didn't like which I didn't see on the A70. The thing about movie mode is it's very heavy on internal camera buffer memory, processing and memory write speed. Now If you were Canon and could launch a 4Mpix new model adding some extra wizzy features like histogram - would you really bump up the internal memory to support the new features and keep 640 X 480 Movie? I guess you'd not change it much and offer the reduced 1/4 res. VGA option.

I'd have been happy with that compromise, if they'd improved the CA, low light auto white bal. and put in a 1.8" display I could read the histogram on! Regards VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote