Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 23, 2003, 4:55 PM   #1

Default Journalist seeks camera - standard newbie topic

I'm a journalist looking for a camera of my own, as I'm sick of using the office one, which is a relatively decent Camedia that I have to check out if I want to use it for my own purposes. Here are the candidates:

Panasonic Lumix DMCFZ10
Pros - great zoom and resolution, image stabilization, big LCD, 30fps video with audio limited only by space on memory card.
Negatives - proprietary batteries, and I don't think it has a flash hot shoe.

Olympus C-750 Ultra Zoom
Pros - Zoom and resolution aren't as good as the Lumix, but are still great, remote control, built-in hot shoe, flash, I know the controls already.
Negatives - 1.5 inch screen, xD card storage, no image stabilization.

That being said, I'm mainly looking for time between shots, flash illumination, 4mp resolution, at least 10x zoom, and ideally 30fps video at 320 x 240.. Any other ideas?

I'd welcome any help anyone reading this could give.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2003, 8:49 PM   #2

Something else you will probably want to consider is how fast the AF system works and how fast the lag in time is between pressing shutter release and it actually taking the picture. You are probably used to a very short abount of shutter lag, but many consumer grade digital cameras have a very long one.

I would make sure to try the camera before buying it to check these things out.

I have no experience with those cameras, so I can't directly answer you question about which one is better or fits your needs.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 9:10 PM   #3

Thanks...I've had some trouble dealing with what you mention, but the cameras I listed sound like they're not bad in that regard.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 7:18 AM   #4

Default Re: Journalist seeks camera - standard newbie topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Viper
Panasonic Lumix DMCFZ10
Pros - great zoom and resolution, image stabilization, big LCD, 30fps video with audio limited only by space on memory card.
Negatives - proprietary batteries, and I don't think it has a flash hot shoe.
The FZ10 does have a hot shoe, and IMO the proprietary batteries is a plus. Why? I'm glad you asked. Lighter camera (a camera that uses "AA" batteries will be heavier), battery only takes 90 minutes to charge (get a spare on eBay for $25), battery lasts longer than "AA", battery is Li-On and does not have a memory effect (that means you can charge it even if you used the camera for 5 minutes)... Those are all the reasons I can think of at the moment
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:49 PM   #5

Some more searching dug up that the Panasonic doesn't have options to shoot TIFF or RAW, just JPEG. That bothers me.