Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 23, 2003, 9:51 PM   #1
ren

Default olympus stylus400 vs olympus740 vs kodak6440

Hi!

We are looking to purchase our first digital camera and have so far narrowed down our choices to the above.

Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions on which may be the best.

We are looking for a very user friendly camera. For the most part, we would be printing 4X6 pictures. (of kids, vacations etc...)

Not sure if we need 3 0r 4 megapixels......also not sure if we would need more than 3-4x optical zoom for how we plan on using this camera.

Any help would be appreciated!!

thanks!
ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2003, 1:55 AM   #2

From what I gather, the Kodak is a very user friendly camera. If you want to simply point & shoot, I'd think this camera would be your best bet.

My sister in-law has a Kodak (2mp) and loves it. She didn't want anything complicated, what-so-ever.

My mother in-law has a Kodak (3mp) on order and it will also be the camera my mother will be ordering too but she is choosing the 6440.

For printing 4x6, either of these cameras will do just fine. If there isn't much price difference between the 3 & 4...I'd spring for the 4. Why not, right

Personally, if given the choice of having more optical zoom, I'd take it. But if you plan on being near your photographic subjects, you wont be relying much on the zoom.

What I have heard from those who wanted simplicity and purchased a camera...many seem to have chosen the Kodak and are happy with it.

I can only add that if you have access to these cameras, check them out. Perhaps on site you may get a better feel for which camera may best suit your tastes.

Good luck in your quest.

~Kate

P.S. I can't discredit the Oly cameras as I know they produce good cameras. Though thought I should mention in case I've given the impression that they are not worthy of consideration.
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 9:13 PM   #3
ren

Thanks for the input!!
ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:56 PM   #4

You have to decide what you want in a camera (i.e. the zoom level).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote