Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 10, 2002, 11:34 PM   #1

Default First time buyer, narrowed to 2. Please help.

Greetings and thanks for the great site! I have been reading the reviews here and PC World to get two perspectives on digicams. I've read many reviews until my eyeballs have monitor burn. I'm wanting a nice cam with room for me to grow. I like the Casio QV4000 and the Epson 3100Z. They both seem quite similar except the pixels and the Microdrive compatibility. I especially like the "best shot" feature on the Casio, since I don't really know what I'm doing yet. I've taken into consideration, the lens and ability to accept adapters, battery type, memory type. I've considered the aperture and shutter speeds as well as the optical zoom. They both record video,although the Epson has sound. I'm wondering if the EXIF 2.1 is good for the Canon photo printers inasmuch as what you see is what you get. They both have the Epson print matching. I see Steve seems to think they are both pretty decent camera's. Could I have your opinion as to which way to go? I'm leaning towards the Casio. Maybe a suggestion on a different one? They are both around the same price. Around $450 US at some sites.

Thank you! in advance for your suggestions and comments
chesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2002, 1:02 PM   #2

I went several months wondering which one to buy. I short listed the two you mention and some of the Olys.

I eventually went for Olympus 3020 because the QV 4000 employs Aggressive 'flat area' noise reduction and cannot be turned off or down - visit http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/casioqv4000/page13.asp

I did not like the Epson because there was no auto bracketing which was a function I particularly wanted and I've heard they are pulling out of the digicam market???

Two things I don't like about the Olys is they use SmartMedia instead of Compact Flash and that stupid lens cap.

I downloaded loads of images from Steve's site and printed lots of photos off and decided the olympus cameras and in particular the 3020 and 4040 gave the best picture quality. Don't forget the other Olys e.g. c700/720 UZ and 2100 that so many people seem to love with their big zooms.

Having said all that, both the cams you mention will give you good results; I just think the olys are a little better.

Steve
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2002, 3:13 AM   #3

Thanks Steve,
I appreciate your input and thus have widened my list again. I'm guessing that those Oly's with the 10x zoom would be a good choice if I'm planning on taking some pic's of racing and action photo's. (Going to the US Grand Prix in September)Albeit, I can learn to use it. I'm wanting to zoom in on the pits also. This is just my short term objective.We also have a couple great air shows in the summer(the Harrier, F-15's and such) great fireworks and I like nature and other stuff, too. I was wanting a real small camera when I first started looking. After reading comments I figured that wasn't such a great idea. I see a bunch of those 2100UZ's on Ebay for less than 500 bucks. Some are supposedly brand new, some refurbs and some used. Those will print some nice 8 x 10's, won't they? I also see there is the E100rs listed on Olympus' refurb site, but none in stock. I'm wanting to stay around or preferrably under $500 U.S.
I know it's finely crafted talent and maybe I'm being too optimistic with my expected results. I'm all fired up anyway. Please respond with any comments. Good or bad welcome. Thank you.

Ches
Old Jun 15, 2002, 6:51 AM   #4

Default Look at the Oly C2100

Since you are already reconsidering your choices, think about the C2100UZ. We are a 5-digicam family, having started with the Coolpix 900, then CP950, CP990, and finally (I hope) for me, the Canon D60. Since we have a built-in recycling system, it's not as bad as it sounds to have all those cameras.

My wife uses the CP990 and a Nikon film camera, and said she didn't really want another camera. However, she tried the Oly C2100, with its 10X lens and more important, the Image Stabilization. Overnight she went from 60% of her shots being really sharp to 90-95% being tack sharp, because of the stabilization. The camera is easy to use as a point & shoot, but has all the features you need to override the auto settings if you choose. Autofocus and autoexposure are very smart and very accurate. The camera weighs almost nothing around her neck. Even though it's only 2.1 megapixels, she is ready to recycle the CP990 (3.3mp) and is looking to sell the film camera.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2002, 1:58 PM   #5

Thanks Steve and Walter,
I decided on the 2100. Couldn't find one on any links form this site.......so I went to good ole Ebay and got one. Guess I should get some more batteries and more memory. Any recommendations on those items. Thank you very much for the help, and hopefully I'll have me a "Photo of the Day" in the future. (yea,right). I really appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Ches
Old Jun 16, 2002, 10:24 PM   #6

Default SM card & Batteries

I suggest an Oly 128mb Smart Media card, which you can get for $65 at
www.b&hphotovideo.com

It is the only card that lets you do panoramic shots with the C2100 showing you the part of the last shot to overlap with the current shot. You might think the card is too large, but 90 shots fill it up very fast.

The camera is easy on batteries, and comes with an Nimh set with a good charger. Get another set of batteries (Maha 1750 or 1800 mAh) at:
www.thomas-distributing.com
for about $2.50-$3.00 per battery.

I don't work for those places, but have had good dealings with them.

Good luck with the camera.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 5:53 AM   #7
lg

$65 is a good price on Oly 128MB Smartmedia cards. I got two 64MB Oly SM cards for $28 each, and it's rare that I take more than 128 HQ pics on an outing. As for batteries, I am very satisfied with two sets of Powercell 1800 maH batteries from Thomas Distributing. Their Maha 204F charger is really nice. With the included set of Oly 1600maH batteries, I haven't run out yet.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2002, 1:43 AM   #8

Got ordered up and should have it in a few days. Got extra batteries, card and new cam for about $580 U.S. Only 80 bucks over my thrice revised spending limit. Should make for a great 4th of the July holiday!

Thanks again,

Ches