Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:20 PM   #1

Default choice of first camera help

Hi,

I'm a relative novice looking to buy my first digital camera (a point and shoot for general use - though one with some more advanced features if I wish to use them later on). I've narrowed it down to a couple of cameras in my price range:

Canon Powershot A70
Sony Cybershoot DSC-P72

These seem to have fairly similar features (the canon maybe having a little more manual control?): 3MP, 3x optical zoom, movie-mode w sound, AA batts, etc. I'm leaning towards the canon, however, as it's a bit smaller, lighter, and because people seem to have some complaints about the low-light performance of the sony. Also, the sony doesn't appear to support mac os X, and I'd like to have a camera that I could use with both my mac and pc.
My question: does anybody favor this sony model over the canon? If so, why? Are there any other concerns people have with these cameras that I should know about? Also, does anyone think that the Nikon Coolpix 3100 or Fuji FinePix A303 is a better camera in this range?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer, even if it's simpy affirming my preference for the canon.

Thanks
amok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2003, 1:52 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: choice of first camera help

Quote:
Originally Posted by amok
Hi,
I'm a relative novice looking to buy my first digital camera (a point and shoot for general use - though one with some more advanced features if I wish to use them later on).
The Sony has very limited features for controlling how an image is processed. In contrast, the Canon offers lots of user control (including manual exposure modes). Since you would like more advanced features for later, then this alone would appear to rule out the Sony.

Also, you may want to try out the cameras in a store. I personally don't like the ergonomics of the smaller Sonys. I bought (and returned) a Sony DSC-P10 earlier this year.

When trying to hold it with one hand, my photos always came out tilted. When trying to hold it with two hands, it felt very awkward. Because the lens is located on one side of the camera, I never "mastered" holding it with both hands (trying to keep my fingers from blocking the lens).

Given enough time, perhaps I would have gotten used to it. But, I was not happy with the Sony's metering, colors, indoor flash recycle times, etc. So, I returned it for a refund.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 11:28 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I will deifinately go and try both of these cameras out at a store.
Has anybody used both these cameras I mentioned and found one to be better than the other in any respect?
Just trying to see if there's anything I can find out about these cameras that you can't find on a spec sheet, in professional reviews, or in a short try-out in a store.
Can anyone say whether Canon or Sony provides better support and service if things go wrong?

Thanks
amok is offline   Reply With Quote