Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 25, 2003, 6:23 PM   #1

Default Please help me to choose

Hello!
I love photography but my old camera (non-digital) was stolen some time ago, so im thinking about buying a digital camera.
There are hundreds of possible choices so i really need your help.

What i need:
A camera to both "daily" (friends, parties...) and "serious" pictures.
A camera with good resolution, to print in "normal" size and maybe A4 size.
I like to play around with the camera and take photos with weird effects... I want to be able to manually control focus, shutter speed, exposition time (at least 16 seconds to night photos would be nice),....
I dont care about digital zoom or digital effects (that can be added in the computer later)
I want a good camera to both macro (i like to take pictures from birds, little reptiles, some flours...) and a decent zoom (i know its impossible to be good in both but at least, not bad in any of them).
A built in flash would be nice, a hot-shoe would be great too.
I dont care about video clips
About battery and memory cards... i know that all kinds have advantages and disadvantages so i think ill take any of them.

How many MegaPixels do u think i need? I know that, sometimes, more mp doesnt exactly mean better quality...

I spent the last week reading reviews and opinions on a bunch of cameras but still i have about 10 cameras to choose:
3MPs
Canon PowerShot A70
Minolta DiMAGE Z1
Olympus C-740 UZ
4MPs
Canon PowerShot A80
Olympus C-750 UZ
Canon PowerShot G3
5MPs
Canon PowerShot S50
Pentax Optio 555
HP Photosmart 945
Sony DCS V1

These were the cameras that caught my attention but feel free to suggest any other.

Im probably mixing a lot of different kind of cameras and im presenting a big range of prices..

I have about 600 (+/- $600US) to spend.

Any help will be great!

Tkx

Taxus
Taxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2003, 6:48 PM   #2

I would recommend that you have the following minimum requirements:

3 mp, 3X optical.

I have used or owned the Olympus 740 and 750. Both are very good cameras and take excellent pictures.

I recommend going to a local store and handle some of the cameras you have mentioned. Some cameras will not have a good feel to you. Have the salesperson let you take some pictures and print some of the pics.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 8:37 PM   #3

Tkx for the answer.

I think that trying the camera is very important, but that wont be easy. Here in Portugal there arent many stores where u can try before u buy.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 5:49 PM   #4

After reading reviews, opinions, features list.... i find myself with 5 different cameras to chose. Please, i really need your help to pick the best one to me. Ill do a mini-mini-review of each and ill include the price (1 = $1US)

Canon PowerShot A80 : Looks like a very good camera with a good price (430 here) but... has a very small zoom and some people say it sucks in macro photo. Doesnt have an external flash connector. In point and shoot photos, auto-focus, how is the shutter lag?

HP Photosmart 945 : Another good camera (good zoom and macro). I havent found any big complains... I can get it for 490

Minolta DiMageZ1 : The only 3Mp camera in my list. Ive seen people loving it and hating it.. Dont know what to think.. Ive seen some really good macro and tele photos. The fact that Max Shutter is 1/1000 scares me a bit, is it enough to take sports pictures? I can get it for 395

Olympus C-750: Its the second more expensive camera in the list, it also has 1/1000 Max Shutter and the sensor is a bit small for a 4 MP camera (maybe because its an "old" camera). Its really attractive to me because of the good macro and tele photos ive seen. Being an Olympus also helps. I can get it for 540

Sony DSC-V1: It has a Carl Zeiss zoom.. thats good! Ive seen some bad reviews about the camera but i also saw some really good reviews. Once again the "bad" factor is the poor zoom and the bad performance on macro. The facto that i cant use AA batteries is also a down side. I can get it for 567

Please post your opinions/experiences on these cameras and help me decide whats the best for me.
Tkx a lot
Old Nov 27, 2003, 9:07 AM   #5

From your list, I would choose the C750. It has an excellent lens that will produce quality pics. You will truly enjoy the extra zoom. The hot shoe will provide you another option for low light shooting.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 9:30 AM   #6

Yes, the C750 is probably a great choice but it has a "but".. i also want to use the camera as a "point and shoot" camera and the C750 has a big shutter lag. Even in manual mode has about 0.5s.
Whats your personal opinion about the HP945 gibsonpd3620?
Tkx
Old Nov 27, 2003, 10:39 AM   #7

Can't resist, I have to recommend the Kodak DX6490. :-) Same quality as the C-750 but, there are some give and takes between the 2.

1. The C-750 has a more common hot-shoe for external flash, the DX6490 has a PC sync terminal.

2. Shutter speed range is 'slightly' higher in the DX6490 (1/1700 sec) C-750 (1/1000 sec).

3. Big LCD on the DX6490 at 2.2" 153,000 pixels compared to 1.5 " 110,000 pixels on the C-750.

4. The DX6490 uses a proprietory battery and the C-750 uses AA type batteries. Do not let that sway your descission. The 1700 mAh Li-Ion lasts an extremely long time. I managed to take 300+ photos (filled my 256MB card) and the low-batt warning did not even show up.

5. Not sure if the C-750 has this or not but, the DX6490 'knows' if you are shooting portrait style and flips the picture for you - a bit of a time saver if you shoot a few portraits.

Here are some examples of the DX6490: http://www.juetts.com/DX6490

koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 11:05 AM   #8

Have not had the opportunity to shoot with this camera.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 11:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by koruvs
Can't resist, I have to recommend the Kodak DX6490.
Tkx, ill check it out.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 12:00 PM   #10

Have used the Kodak 6490 and it is a nice camera.