Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:01 PM   #1

Default optical zoom equates to what in mm?

What does 10x optical zoom equate to in mm?
Sandrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrai View Post
What does 10x optical zoom equate to in mm?
Nothing.

"10X" is the ratio of the shortest focal length to the longest. "mm" is the actual measurment of focal length in millimeters.

An 18-55 mm lens is a 3X zoom lens (55/18=3.05), but so is a 100-300mm lens (300/100=3.0), and the angles of view are very different.

P&S digicams only have one lens, so the zoom ratio is the ratio of the actual focal length of the lens at its widest to the focal length at its longest. DSLRs have interchangeable lenses, so the actual focal length is used to describe the lens.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 12, 2010 at 8:29 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:09 PM   #3

Thanks, I think???

To ask the question in a different way...

If I take a photo with my P&S zoomed out to 10x optical, what lens would give me the same photo if I took a photo with an dSLR?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:29 PM   #4

That depends on where your lens starts. Basically, what TCav is telling you is that, just as 100MPH is ten time 10MPH, so is 30MPH ten times 3MPH. without knowing what camera you have, or the focal length it starts at, we can't answer your question.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 1:18 AM   #5

I have a Panasonic Lumix Z10. Actually it has 12x optical zoom, not 10. It is now no longer working and I'm looking at purchasing a DSLR.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:20 AM   #6
Super Moderator

The Lumix Z10 has a field of view in 35mm terms (the standard that most people recognise) of 35-420mm. If using the most common range of dSLRs that have what is known as an APS-C sensor (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony) then you are looking at needing about 21mm for the wide end and 280mm for the long end.

There are many options that will cover this as most kit lenses are starting at about 17 or 18mm and then you can add a longer lens too. Personally I would stay away from the ultra zoom lenses that cover the really big ranges in one go as you lose quite a bit in quality, however you do gain on convenience. Other people will value convenience over quality but if doing so I wouldn't bother with a dSLR as you are not making the most of it.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:23 AM   #7

Thanks for that Mark! Will prob get two lenses in that case. Tossing up b/n Canon and Nikon.