Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1

Default Olympus SP800, Canon SX210, Fuji HS10, Nikon P100

New to the forums obviously, so I'm not sure exactly where to post this. Been reading the site off and on for a number of years though. Just curious, any idea if Steve will be reviewing the following three new models? I assumed he probably would be, but I wanted to know for sure before I went ahead and bought one. I had initially been leaning toward the Nikon, but read some negative things about the P90. Probably going to go with the Olympus, maybe the Canon. Thanks!

Last edited by KimTakesPhotos; Mar 1, 2010 at 3:05 AM.
KimTakesPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:37 AM   #2

Hello,

i'm new here and been looking to buy a super zoom camera as well, finally decided on the FZ38, which I will get today or tomorrow. I had the chance to handle the Olympus SP 800 today at a shop and was really unimpressed by the "feel" of the camera. I found the finish really horrible, with all shiny grey plastic and it didn't look durable. I am no expert but compared to all the other models, Coolpix P100, Samsung WB5000, this one looked pretty bad. The zoom seemed to work quite well. The photos taken in the shop in low light were not great at first sight but it was a quick demonstration and it should be a lot better with a bit of fiddling. However, the thing that was really a deal breaker for me was the fact that you can't zoom while shooting videos. With such a great zoom, it is really a shame that you can't use it in videos. I was looking for that information everywhere and couldn't find it. I thought it could be useful for some potential buyers.

Fasyl
fasyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:56 AM   #3

kimtakesphotos-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Firstly, this question should be in the "What Camera Should I Purchase" folder and not in this folder.The Super Moderators can sort that out.

As fasyl noted above you would be much better served by the Panasonic FZ-35/FZ-38 super zoom camera, which is now at its all time low price. We also have a very sizable, friendly and active group of FZ-35/FZ-38 users in our Panasonic P+S Folder. There you will be able to see photos from the camera and experience the help and sharing that is unique to that folder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:31 AM   #4

Fasyl, thank you for all the tips and for sharing your shopping experience with me.

Sarah, I hope the mods can move this, thanks for the info as well. I'm going to look into that!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:47 AM   #5

I want to make sure I have this right. The FZ-35 and the FZ-38 are the same exact camera, just different numbers depending on the area?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:19 AM   #6

I should mention I take a LOT of concert photos, thousands. So that would be the primary use, but of course I'd use it for everything else as well. So it needs to perform well in low-light, high action, stage lighting, possibly at distances, but not often. I try never to use flash, and my current camera only goes up to ISO 400.