Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:10 PM   #1

Default How to set wb?

Hello,

After two hours of reading I believe that If you set your wb to awb, at the end the colours would not be as good as using white or grey card.

But it seems to me it is difficult to use white or grey card in real life situations like "hon please hold this card in front of your face for a moment?" because ordinary people would not understand and they wouldn't even notice the difference between using awb or not using awb.

What should i do? Should i trust awb? or any suggestion? I don't want to handle things in photoshop with raw pictures either.

What do you use to set wb or which way you follow?
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:15 PM   #2

The answer lies in the individual camera. Through experience with your specific camera you can learn what lighting conditions cause the most problems. In some cases it's a matter of using the pre-set white balance values like tungsten, sunlight, etc... But it really does vary by camera model. Usually it's artificial indoor light that provides the most problems. But by the same token most cameras have a WB setting for those different artificial light sources.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:18 PM   #3

What camera are you using. You can set the WB to close to you lighting like tungsten light flash and so forth. They may not be as good as a custom WB, but it normally is better then auto for indoor shots.

With the Evil camera. You can live pre view the WB as you select the color temp. It is more accurate then the lighting presets. But still not as good as a custom WB, but pretty darn good imho.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:44 PM   #4

For most outdoor, daytime situations, auto WB is fine. Indoor lighting can be more difficult due to a mix of color temperatures, and camera makers' bias toward warm tones. Usually, the appropriate setting, (tungsten/incandescent) works OK then.
Where you may need to set WB manually with a gray card, is where the light is mixed color temps/ colored lights (stage lighting) , and where you need very good color rendition. For casual shooting, I don't worry about it. Where I need to represent colors accurately, I use gray card.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:44 PM   #5

It is Panasonic DMC - FZ 38. I have set wb to custom by cards and i believe i get the optimal wb and great colors. But as you guess the indoor light is poor and i should use flash. If i use flash i am going to ruin colors because it is imposible to set custom wb with flash by using card. What should i do in such condiditon? Rising ISO or using tripod? Because after some experiments i am not going to use awb again, it is easy to use card instead of Kelvin. Kelvin looks to me more pro thing to set or the limits are so close i can't notice the difference between 4000-4100 K
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:50 PM   #6

There should be a flash wb option also, if not set it to sunny
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:58 PM   #7

I think it is easy to use custom icons instead of doing everything with cards even they give you the best colours and then taking pictures in jpg format and later doing some photoshop corrections. While i wasn't aware all of this, taking photo was really as simple as breathing.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:15 PM   #8

The more advance the camera. The more you need to learn.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:47 PM   #9

Can anyone show me exactly what the pringles lid is, i need a picture of it? I know what it is by the way.