Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 6, 2010, 7:35 PM   #1

Default Need help w/ zooming and blur

At my son's pinewood derby today I had a problem getting some pics. I have the Canon S90 which I love, but apparently I don't know how to use it! If I keep the lens wide open, it's quick enough to get the pic, but my son was far away. But if I zoom in, the camera is too slow and everything is blurred. What should I be doing?
akmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2010, 7:42 PM   #2

The long end of your zoom stop down, so it may not letting enough light in, so the camera is selecting a longer shutter speed to get proper exposure. What was the lighting conditions? Did you shoot is full auto?
Old Mar 6, 2010, 7:52 PM   #3

We were in a school gym. I did have it in auto, but I also tried to use shutter priority, but didn't have enough time to play with it. So mostly in auto.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 8:40 PM   #4

You zoomr is not bright enough for the gym lighting. There is really not anything you can do. To get shots at a distance in a school gym. You will most likely need to move up to a dslr, with a very bright lens. 2.8 or better. There is really not much more you can do with the s90 unless you get up close. But at longer ranges. It will not be able to do any better.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 6, 2010 at 9:01 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 8:44 PM   #5

Default Recommendation?

Is there a camera that you would recommend other than a dslr? The pics don't have to be perfect, but something that would at least capture the moment? I really don't want the bulk of a dslr. Thank you for your help!
Old Mar 6, 2010, 8:51 PM   #6

Not for indoor gym lighting, it is really tough for any small senor point and shoot or bridge cameras. And you will not find megazoom's with aperture's with 2.8 when zoomed out.

With a dslr, you can choose a prime lens, fix focal length, like a 85mm 1.8 or 100mm 2.0. If you do not want to put out the big dollars for a zoom that has a constant 2.8 through out it's zoom range. A DSLR with a bright prime lenses would be the least expensive option for indoor gym shots.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 6, 2010 at 9:10 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 9:06 PM   #7

A inexpensive DSLR package would be a canon XSi with a EF 85mm 1.8 USM lens. The body with the kit lens is about 550, the body alone will be about 450. The 85mm 1.8 lens is about 360. That would be a good setup for the gym shot. If you need a bit more range, you can chose a EF 100mm 2.0 USM it runs about 390 dollars.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 6, 2010 at 9:10 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:36 AM   #8

The blur is likely to be "shake": any non intentional movement of the camera while the shutter is open. Holding the camera steady, best by putting it on a tripod will solve the problem of everything being blurred. You will still have the problem of things that are moving while the shutter is open being blurred.

Can you set a higher ISO with that camera? The quality of the image will degrade, but still be usable for small prints and the web.

Experiment. Get an EXIF viewer so you can see what the exposure (f/stop, shutter speed, ISO) was in the gym and try stuff in that kind of light level.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote