Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:26 PM   #1

Default Nikon D70 Help! (Sports-Related)

I need serious help. My son plays college lacrosse and most games are at night, under the lights. I simply can't get good clear photos. I've used a tripod, but still get blurry, dark pictures. What settings should I use?Thanks in advance.
jlicsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i am guessing you are using a slower lens (lens with a rather high like f5.6 aperture)?

and probably not using a high enough ISO.

therefore you are ending up with too low of shutter speeds, giving you blur from a combination of camera shake (if not on tripod) and player movement (regardless of tripod use).

you are somewhat limited by the max iso of 1600 on your d70.

you will need to get a faster lens (constant f2.8) something like a 70-200 2.8, though i dont really know how long of lens lacrosse shooters need.

with this lens, you will want to dial in your highest ISO, (1600) and shoot in Aperture priority mode with it dialed down to max aperture (f2.8) as a starting point.

JohnG, or some of the other sports shooters can help out more
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:44 PM   #3

The key to shooting sports is that you need to keep the shutter speed fast. You shouldn't use anything slower than 1/200, and faster would be better. For Lacrosse, 1/500 might not be enough, but worry about that later.

In order to keep the shutter speed fast, you need to use the largest aperture you can and set the ISO that gives you the shutter speed you need. Select A (Aperture Priority)on the Mode Dial, and use the Sub-Command Dial to set the aperture to the largest (numerically smalest) value. Then point the camera at a well lit portion of the field, and press and hold the ISO Button and rotate the Main Command Dial to adjust the ISO until you get a fast shutter speed. That will take care of the exposure.

Next, to keep the subject in focus, you should make some changes to how that operates. Press the Menu Button and press the Multi Selector to select the CSM (Custom Settings) Menu on the Monitor. Then use the Multi Selector to select Autofocus, and select AF-C (Continuous-servo AF). Then use the Multi Selector to back out of the Autofocus settings and select AF-area Mode, and choose Dynamic Area.

Another useful option, if your lens isn't particularly fast at focusing (or even if it is), is to shoot in Continuous Mode. The camera will continue to take photographs as long as you hold down the shutter button. That way, if the lens wasn't fast enough to focus for the first shot, it might catch the second, and it definately will for the third and subsequent shots. Press and hold the Shooting Mode Button (to the immediate left of the Viewfinder) and rotate the Main Command Dial until the Control Panel shows a little icon that looks like the icon on the Shooting Mode Button ( a small stack of photographs.)

And if you haven't done it already, you should probably set the image quality and size. Press and hold the QUAL Button, rotate the Main Command Dial until the Control Panel shows Fine in the lower left corner, and rotate the Sub-command Dial until the Control Panel shows L (Large) in the lower left corner.

You should probably skip the tripod. It's tougher to pan to follow the action using a tripod than handheld.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4

Thanks Hards80 and TCav--I tried a combination of both your suggestions. The quality was much improved. Still some blurriness, particularly in action shots, but vast improvement. I'm going to try using a monopole for more stability to see if that helps.
Jowe
jlicsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:55 AM   #5

Can you post some examples of your most recent attempts?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:19 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Think most things have been covered, but check this out as it might help... yes, I first posted it a loooong time ago http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...n-improve.html

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote