Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:58 PM   #1

Default Image size ?

I have a Panasonic DMC LZ8.If you select a smaller image size does the camera crop the sensor or does the camera reduce the image size after it is taken ? Reason I ask is that when viewed on a LCD monitor the smaller image size looks better.

Last edited by pixel.entity; Mar 18, 2010 at 9:01 PM.
pixel.entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:15 PM   #2

When you select a smaller image size, the camera downsamples the image so that the 3264x2448 pixel image is stored at a lower resolution. It doesn't crop unless you change the apsect ratio, and even then it doesn't crop when you select a smaller image size. If smaller images look better on the screen, that may have something to do with the resolution and aspect ratio of your monitor as well as of your images. But larger size images will always look better when you print them.

It's your call. If you only ever display them on your computer screen, any image size larger than your screen resolution is a waste of storage space.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:47 PM   #3

Most cameras use the full size of the sensor when taking any image. When you select smaller sizes, the camera reduces the size after the shot is taken, usually while it is making the jpeg. doing it this way averages some pixels, which reduces noise. This may be why the smaller size looks better. You could do the same thing by resizing with a photo editor, and still have the full-size picture to work with later if you wanted, but if you start with the small one, you can't.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 4:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel.entity View Post
... Reason I ask is that when viewed on a LCD monitor the smaller image size looks better.
That seems odd. Are you are referring to the little LCD on the camera? Is the resolution of the LCD a simple multiple of image size (in pixels)?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:07 AM   #5

Thanks for the help.I was referring to a LCD computer monitor.After some more photo tests I just shoot at the full image size and then use software to reduce the size.
pixel.entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:50 AM   #6

the full size, i think so. at least with my Canon 450
savitashri is offline   Reply With Quote