Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 20, 2010, 6:58 PM   #1

Default Fuji pix viewer problem

Hope this is the right place for my question. I have been using this Fuji viewer program for a year or so and have had a number of problems. But today, somehow I touched a wrong key and my folders have disappeared. I am stuck in a Desktop mode with the only sub-files being Computer and Network.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get back to my normal setup which has scores of business photos which I desperately need? I've worked on this for hours with no luck. Thanks so much!
PortCharolotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:36 PM   #2

Windows (and version) or Mac?

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:02 PM   #3

Sorry - Windows Vista
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:55 PM   #4

One way to find the lost files might be to use the search function in Windows Explorer (not internet explorer). Use the non-numerical part of the file name, then the wild card (*), then period and jpeg (or other file type if tthe pics are not .jpeg). This should find the files if they haven't been deleted. If, somehow, they were deleted, you still may be able to recover them using a recovery program such as PC Inspector. There have been several threads about recovering deleted files - I think in the memory cards forum. Lots of good advice there.

If this wasn't relevant, and it is your operating system which is hiding your programs, I think you can right-click on your desktop to access the options you need to restore it. (still on XP myself and limited experience with Vista)

brian
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:57 AM   #5

Thanks - I will give all a try. The only question I have is on the wild card. I don't know what this is. BTW - if deleted wouldn't they appear in the recycle bin? They're not there now as I checked that immediately.

Thanks again - love the meeser pix.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:10 AM   #6

Ahhhh - you are so smart! Yes I did find them in Explorer but they are read only. So I started scouting into unknown territory (for me) and found I had Office Photo Editor. Now I'm back in business through what I call a back door.

I always used Fuji and did a lot of back up to windows - not all but a lot. Maybe I'll let the camera download to Fuji and work on the photos elsewhere. It usually crashes during the operation anyway.

So many many thanks again.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:36 AM   #7
Administrator

It may be that you simply changed the folder your Fuji software was using as it's default for viewing images and you can change it back again. For example, I noticed you said this:

" I am stuck in a Desktop mode with the only sub-files being Computer and Network."

Did you try clicking on computer and seeing if folders showed up that you can click on to locate your images? My guess is that you changed the folder it was using to view them and you can change it back again.

You may also want to try something like the free Google Picasa. It can automatically scan your hard drive for you and give you a view with all of the photos it finds on it. I think you can set it up to download your photos from a card reader or camera, too (although I don't use that feature, as I just look under "My Computer' for a camera or reader, then copy and paste photos to the desired folder on my hard drive).

http://www.google.com/picasa/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCharolotte View Post
Thanks - I will give all a try. The only question I have is on the wild card. I don't know what this is. BTW - if deleted wouldn't they appear in the recycle bin? They're not there now as I checked that immediately.

Thanks again - love the meeser pix.
Ok, I guess I wasn't too clear. The wild card character it the asterisk (*). To do a search with it, include it where the unknowns are in the search. EX: if pictures are named DSCxxxx.jpg, you would either search for *.jpg, which would locate ALL .jpg files on your computer. This could be quite a lot to go through. You could also search for DSC*.jpg, which would find all the files from your camera. There is another wild card, the question mark, as well, so you could narrow your search by using DSC????.jpg, which would be almost the same as using the asterisk, but would only include files with four digits after the DSC. To really narrow the search, if you knew you were looking for photos in the 4000 series, for example, you could use DSC4???.jpg

The recycle bin would probably have the files, but there are ways that software could dump them, and skip the recycle bin.
I had a software update once which moved several folders around, and it took me days to find them.

Glad you found the pics.

Thanks for the kind words about my baby.

bian

Last edited by VTphotog; Mar 21, 2010 at 7:48 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:24 AM   #9

Hi Jim - I have used Picasa on another computer and really like it so I might do that again. I think you are right about switching the folders as I did find them under a different heading but don't know how to return them to Fuji where I had fix'n capability. Oh - I am on my laptop as I had a problem with my desktop. I bought it from a guru and was unaware he had boot-legged the operating system. During a crackdown on pirated OS's, mine got disabled. I will get around to buying a legitimate one but they are so expensive. I tried Knoppix? but couldn't get it to boot. Seems like you need an OS in order to download the free OS.

Thanks to you both - I will return to this site again, I'm sure!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:05 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
During a crackdown on pirated OS's, mine got disabled. I will get around to buying a legitimate one but they are so expensive. I tried Knoppix? but couldn't get it to boot. Seems like you need an OS in order to download the free OS.
I wouldn't waste your money unless you really need windows for something. There are thousands of programs available for Linux that meet most users needs. My wife hasn't used Windows at home in years, and as I have Linux on her laptops and it works just fine for everything she does. If I didn't have to run some camera manufacturers software, I wouldn't bother to use Windows either.

Chances are, you did something wrong burning Knoppix to CD (you have to use software that knows how to burn the .iso image to CD, which is not the same thing as burning a data CD). But, I'd use a different distribution instead.

Has your laptop got a CD Burner in it? If so, you can use it to download the .iso file for a linux distro, burn it to CD, then boot your desktop into it and install it.

I'd try probably Linux Mint 8 for starters. It's very easy to use. Here's a review:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/l...nt-helena.html

You can download it from the link in this press release (click on the .iso file):

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05795

Just burn the .iso file to CD, reboot your PC into it, and it can run from CD without even installing it. Note that your PC may give you a function key for boot menu choices when you restart it if it doesn't have the CD as the first boot choice. In that case, just press it and select the CD Drive for booting and the operating system should load from CD. If you don't see a boot menu function key choice, use the key to get into your BIOS Settings you should see when starting your PC. Then, look for a boot order choice somewhere and make sure the CD is listed first. Most PCs already have to CD as the first boot choice. So, you may not need to do that. Then, after you boot into the CD, you'll see a desktop and you can install it to your hard drive using the install icon you'll find.

If you need software that can burn the .iso file to CD, try DeepBurner Free. It's the second download link on this page:

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

After you load DeepBurner, select the burn .iso image choice, browse for the Mint .iso file you downloaded and select it, and you'll see a button to start the burning process.

If you don't have a CD Burner you can use, PM me with your address and I'll mail you a copy of Mint 8 on CD you can use, along with another Linux distro (SimplyMEPIS 8.5) that you may want to try. Note that Picasa is also available for Linux (as well as many other image browsers and editors). These distros will already have a number of programs on them for day to day use (OpenOffice.org, Firefox, image viewers, music players, etc.), with thousands more available with a mouse click or two.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote