Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:13 AM   #11

Default Sharpness?

I just moved up from a P&S to a DSLR so I'm only a few weeks out of this dilemma (don't start!). I had adjusted my P&S to up EVERYTHING and I was very pleased with the results. You know my feelings when I spent lots of money on this beautiful DSLR and the pictures were AWFUL! Bland. Blah. all those b-words.

I read a bit here and there, played with adjustments on the computer and found that I could make them pleasing to my eyes. So I do. First I save the originals. Then I batch with Irfanview and up the contrast & saturation, and lower the gamma. ahhhhh.

The point is make them appear the way you want. They're your pictures. But keep the originals. As time goes my your tastes will change. Those over-hyped colours will appear gaudy. Just like the surreal HDR images being floated these days. Then you could go back to the originals and alter them in different ways.

It's a fancy word, but work-flow is important. Set yourself up so copying from the camera, adjusting and backing up come natural. Don't lose your originals.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:25 AM   #12

Those are very good, but there are oversharpening artifacts. The subjects are quite good for masking them, however.

The "Sharpness" setting doesn't actually sharpen anything. What it does is increase the contrast between two adjacent areas of an image by lightening one and darkening another. In those shots, the light areas are very light and the dark areas are black, but in some places the oversharpening artifacts are visible. In the following image, the red in the "C" and the green in the logo are slightly lighter near the black border than closer to the center of the shape. And the white is also visibly lighter near the dark borders than in the center of the white area.

As I said, these are excellent subjects for masking the oversharpening effects. They still appear in some areas, but I've seen much worse.
Attached Images

TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
I just moved up from a P&S to a DSLR so I'm only a few weeks out of this dilemma (don't start!). I had adjusted my P&S to up EVERYTHING and I was very pleased with the results. You know my feelings when I spent lots of money on this beautiful DSLR and the pictures were AWFUL! Bland. Blah. all those b-words.

I read a bit here and there, played with adjustments on the computer and found that I could make them pleasing to my eyes. So I do. First I save the originals. Then I batch with Irfanview and up the contrast & saturation, and lower the gamma. ahhhhh.

The point is make them appear the way you want. They're your pictures. But keep the originals. As time goes my your tastes will change. Those over-hyped colours will appear gaudy. Just like the surreal HDR images being floated these days. Then you could go back to the originals and alter them in different ways.

It's a fancy word, but work-flow is important. Set yourself up so copying from the camera, adjusting and backing up come natural. Don't lose your originals.
Whenever someone goes from a P&S to a dSLR, they often have the same complaint. Manufacturers of P&S digicams up the settings to get "punchier" images so their camera stands out from the others (except that it doesn't work well because they all do it.) When they go to a dSLR, the presumption is that it is much more a creative tool, so the default settings are to produce a more accurate image, moreso than to produce a more pleasing image. In addition, the presumption is that dSLR owners are more likely to do post-processing than P&S owners, and those kinds of things are better done in post-processing anyway.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:13 AM   #14

It is not bad I agree, as you need to goto 300% crop to see it. I looked at the orginal at 100% and it was not noticeable.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:23 AM   #15

Here is a different subject at max zoom of my ef 70-300, with in camera processing. No PP work at all, with a super tight crop. And the results are not bad.
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It is not bad I agree, as you need to goto 300% crop to see it. I looked at the orginal at 100% and it was not noticeable.
Yes. As I said, the subject is good at masking the artifacts. Less extreme situations would be less kind.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 12, 2010 at 9:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Here is a different subject at max zoom of my ef 70-300, with in camera processing. No PP work at all, with a super tight crop. And the results are not bad.
Yes, though there are some oversharpening artifacts around the letterforms, plus some chromatic aberration on the letterforms and the windows (the blue-green fringe on the left and the red fringe on the right.) But again, I've seen much worse.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:01 AM   #18

Nice car shots Shoturtle!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:42 AM   #19

For comparison purposes, the first is a shot of an EA-6B that flew over my neighborhood yesterday. (I live near Andrews AFB, outside Washington, DC.) I used my Nikon D90 and a Tokina 100-300mm f/4.0. The second is a 100% crop, and some CA is visible, but no oversharpening artifacts. The third is an oversharpened copy of the image. The fourth is a 100% crop of an oversharpened copy of the image. The light band around the aircraft is the "shapening" that simply increases the contrast between the dark aircraft and the light sky, making that portion of the sky lighter than the rest of the sky. It also makes the edges of the aircraft darker, but that's less noticeable.
Attached Images

Last edited by TCav; Apr 12, 2010 at 2:52 PM. Reason: Added the 100% crop of an oversharpened image.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Nice car shots Shoturtle!

Thanks Ordo.