Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:21 AM   #1

Default camera and photo printer advice appreciated

i know minmal amount of information on digital photography and appreciate if you could help me buy a camera and printer.

putting price range aside (although i would like to get the best bang for the buck), i am looking for a compact camera (possibly the sony p10) that will be used for casual use (group photos, closeups, indoors, outdoors, etc.) and used mostly to print out 4 x 6s on the photo printer (i was looking at the hiti 630pl or ps) but may also have the capability to print quality 8 x 10s at walmart.

i guess a 3x optical, 4mp camera would be a wise choice from reading around in the forums. i also want a speedy camera, meaning it doesn't take much time for it to take a pic and get ready for the next one. i am thinking of a sony p10, but have heard bad reviews on this camera. i am also considering a minolta dimage f100 or 300 as ive heard pretty good things on these.

i have personally tried both of them and it seems that these feel okay and are pretty quick. i am also considering a canon powershot a80, but am totally clueless. are there any other cameras that may fit my needs better?

i am pretty sure of buying the hiti 630ps printer, but if i buy these cameras, i can't use the no-pc required feature, which is pointless in buying that model. i was also considering the 640 model, but i am not sure if the difference in quality of the picture and able to use the no-pc feature is worth spending more.

again, any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
kimmer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2003, 11:05 AM   #2

I will address the printer decision first. The HiTi 630PS is a great printer and I use the non computer ability all the time. Picture quality is great but you are limited to 4X6 prints. The print quality of the 630 is 300 dpi while the 640 is 400 dpi. I do not think the human eye would be able to tell the difference at 4X6 print size. The 630ps accepts CF ans SM cards. Click on this link for the cards that the 640ps accepts: http://www.hitouchimaging.com/photoprinter.asp?lid=360

I would recommend the following guidelines in your camera choice: 3mp or greater, 3X optical zoom or greater. I like the following brands of cameras: Canon, Nikon, Olypus, Kodak, and Fuji. I like these brands because I have been able to use various models. I would recommend the following cameras that I have used recently: Fuji S5000, S7000: Olympus C4040, C5050, C740, C750: Nikon 5700, 5400, 4500: Kodak 6490: Canon A80, G3. All cameras will have strong and weak points but this list of cameras strong points outweigh their weak points.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 1:02 AM   #3

thanks for the speedy reply.

i am gonna get the 630ps for sure since there are converters out there from any stick to CF media.

however, i am still debating on which camera i should get. i am leaning towards a DiMage 500 since its been pushed a lot in this forum.

any reason to persuade me to those olympus models would be appreciated.

thank you again.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 4:16 AM   #4

thank you for your feedback. i went ahead and bought a minolta dimage g500 digital camera, hi-touch imaging 630ps photo printer, lexar 256mb 32x sd card, hi-ti sd to cf memory adapter, and hiti 4/2/4 sticker 4x6 photo paper combo kit for about about $650 from newegg.com

any tips or advice for getting the best out of the camera or printer is appreciated!
Old Dec 8, 2003, 1:06 PM   #5

Congrats. Be sure to download all the firmware and program updates for your 630ps before you start printing. My advice is shoot alot and print a little.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote