Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:37 AM   #11

All other things being equal, you will see a more shallow depth of field with a longer focal length.

If you open the flash, it may or may not be used, depending on the available light and the camera's settings. If it's closed, it won't ever be used.

I'm not familiar with the LX3 specifically, but both the P (Program AE) Mode and the iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode make all the exposure settings for you, but some of the features of the camera are user adjustable in P Mode, while the camera selects them in iA Mode. In addition, any changes you make in P Mode are preserved from one session to the next, which is not true when using iA Mode. M (Manual) mode doesn't do anything for you. A (Aperture Priority AE) and S (Shutter Priority AE) Modes could be called "semi automatic". You choose the aperture (or shutter speed) and the camera chooses the shutter speed (or aperture).
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
All other things being equal, you will see a more shallow depth of field with a longer focal length.
Hi TCav, can you explain please how to get longer focal length because I've the same camera & the same issue ?

Do you mean zooming to the subject to get longer focal length ?
Hossam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:08 AM   #13

Yes. In wanderintraveler's situation, he was comparing the depth of field he was getting with a short focal length at different apertures. At short focal lengths, the depth of field is quite deep. In order to see any difference in the depth of field , you need to use longer focal lengths (narrower angles of view.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:55 AM   #14

If the OP can redo the shots, get closer with the same focal length or stay at the same distance and use 2X, and MAKE SURE the camera has selected the front flower to focus on, postings may be telling.

I often get pretty good oof backgrounds with my little casio p&s and i have no control over the aperture.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote