Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 3, 2003, 1:46 PM   #1

Default canon a80 or s400

i have got fed up of readin the reviews n all , i was hopin ya could help me .
a80 --- my interest
1) manual controls ( but since a newbie not sure wen will i be usin them )
2) flip but small lcd

s400
1)small , pocketable

now i wanted to no. which one of these would be better in the image quality criteria and which one would be faster in start up n shot - shot time .

these are my main concern - i basically need a digicam for indoor photos of parties n all and need an easy to use camera .

i would like opinions from does who have used both these cameras ???
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2003, 2:36 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: canon a80 or s400

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman
which one of these would be better in the image quality criteria and which one would be faster in start up n shot - shot time .

these are my main concern - i basically need a digicam for indoor photos of parties n all and need an easy to use camera .

i would like opinions from does who have used both these cameras ???
It's going to be difficult to find someone who has owned both. From a startup speed perspective, I imagine that both are going to be close. Ditto for image quality indoors.

Your biggest limiting factor for speed of operation at indoor parties is going to be the flash recycle times -- something that is not normally measured in camera reviews (unless you plan on trying to take photos without flash, which will require higher ISO speeds, increasing noise). Both models use the same Sony 1/1.8" 4 Megapixel Sensor, and will have similiar image processing algorithms.

Judging from the specs, the flash on the A80 is more powerful, so it's likely to have better useability and flash recharge times indoors. The A80 should throttle down it's flash at closer ranges, allowing for faster cycle times.

You can see the flash range specifications for these models in their reviews on this site (note that flash range is measured at both full wide angle, and at full zoom, since less light can reach the sensor using zoom).

The best way to tell, would be to try them in a store. You should be able to find a store with demo units. Then, test them yourself, noting how many seconds it takes for the flash to recharge in both.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote