Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:34 PM   #1

Default GPS tagging options...

I have an T1i and wondering if there are any GPS tagging options for my camera. Thanks.
PATWRIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:48 PM   #2

If you already have a GPS device that creates Track Logs, there are utilities that can retrieve the the date and time a photo was taken from the EXIF data , locate that date and time in a Track Log, reteive the appropriate location information, and place it into the photo's EXIF header.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:20 PM   #3

What TCav sounds intimidating, it's really not. I use a Garmin 60CSX and a Mac, and I don't have a problem. It doesn't take much thought to quickly download the track and then another program to match the time between the pictures and the track (the program I use can do a batch at once without my input or I can influence each picture). The only thing you need to do is make sure that the camera and GPS are both set to the same time when you start off.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 7:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
... I use a Garmin 60CSX ...
ME TOO!

I got it about three years ago to replace my Garmin eMAP that I'd been using for about 7 years.

While some cameras have the ability to use a dedicated GPS receiver, having a seperate mapping GPS device means you can use it for other things, like navigating hiking trails, especially ones where your cellular carrier doesn't have servce.

A key element to the success of this effort is that the GPS device must create Track Logs. Many GPS devices don't, and cell phones with navigation capabilities don't.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 9:29 AM   #5

I upgraded to the 60 CSX when I switched to Mac - I had previously used a Magellin Meridian. Magellin's software won't run on Apple's operating system and I wasn't going to run Windows just for that. Garmin has Mac compatible software that seems to work quite well for me - I'm able to geotag, map off-road etc. Also the Garmin maps I have are better than the old Magellin maps I had. I've been really happy with it.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:17 AM   #6

When I was shopping for my first GPS unit, I checked the maps as best I could, to see if the places I wanted to go were on them. (There was a lot of development going on at the time, in and around DC.) Now, unfortunately, everybody uses NavTeq maps, so if they've got it wrong, everybody has it wrong (including Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest, etc.), and, after 8 years, NavTeq still has the street numbers in my current neighborhood wrong. And that doesn't count all the other places I know about that they've got wrong.

But I've been very pleased with my Garmin devices and with their software. Though I don't personally GeoTag my images, I know that it can be done quite easily. And though the streets may be wrong, the Latitude, Longitude and Elevation are always within a few meters.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
ME TOO!
Me three! I'm not all that crazy about Garmin's automotive GPS units (best of the worst I suppose) but I love my 60CSx. I use it every time I go backpacking. I wish all GPS units worked so well.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 8:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I'm not all that crazy about Garmin's automotive GPS units ...
I bought a nüvi 660 for my wife a while ago, and didn't think much of it myself. The touch-sensitive panel didn't work if you had gloves on! How stupid is that? When my wife upgraded her cell phone to one that did navigation, she sold the nüvi.

I prefer using the buttons on the 60csx to the touch-sensitive screen, even though the 60csx's screen is smaller. What I don't like about most of Garmin's units with the buttons is that they put the buttons on top. While that makes sense when you're holding it, it doesn't when you're driving and it's mounted on your dashboard. That puts the buttons further away and your hand blocks the screen, so you can't see what you're doing.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 30, 2010 at 8:25 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:19 PM   #9

I occasionally think about getting an automotive GPS, but usually there are two of us. That means one can read the 60csx and the other drives. Works well for us, but I can see why someone driving alone would want a better solution.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:29 PM   #10

I don't use it for navigating very often. I use it for my billing. I turn it on as I approach a client's location so it records when I arrive (it turns off when I turn off my car), and I turn it on again as soon as I start my car so it records when I leave. I then use the track logs to create appointments in Outlook that I do my billing from. I've been doing the exact same thing since March of 2001. It has worked very well for me.

But when I have used it for navigation, it works but the user interface could be easier to navigate. I ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY MUST have the track logs, and that's something that cell phones don't do.