Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 4, 2003, 2:39 PM   #1

Default I feel like Charlie Brown after Lucy pulled the ball away...

I am going nuts.... Canon - Minolta - Canon - Minolta - S50 - G500 - A80 - S45....

I seem to prefer the Canons, however, the Minolta G500 comes highly recommended on this board.... worried a bit about the purple fringing of the Canon cause I would def like to take some nice night time shots. Henceforth I would like a camera with a bunch of manual controls that I could learn to use...

I also think that I would like a 5MP camera so that I could crop the images to get them just right and print them out at an 8 x 10 size.

It is just that a $500 purchase is not something that I can do everyday, and I dont want to regret my purchase.... HELP!
Mr. Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2003, 5:20 PM   #2

The Canon A80 would be a good starting point for digital, but also the Minolta G500 and the Canono S50 or S45 are good cameras.
The important think is that after buying a camero you are satisfied with its feeling and its features and take many shots. Each camera has pro and cons but between these you make a good choise.
The better think to do is to go to a store and evaluate directly the cameras, so you can evaluate their size, the weigth, the viewfinder and choose the camera that is better for you.
FrancescoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 5:42 PM   #3

Default Re: I feel like Charlie Brown after Lucy pulled the ball awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baloo
... It is just that a $500 purchase is not something that I can do everyday, and I dont want to regret my purchase....
No matter what you get, that is going to happen. Digital cameras are much like computers: the time it takes for a new, better, and cheaper one to come out is identical to the time it takes for your return option to lapse:-)

You mentioned night shots. That means you should be looking at noise and ISO in the detailed reviews. Don't take the highest ISO seriously - it is pretty much usless on all cameras - but one that has a top value of 1600 is very likely to be better at night shots than one with a top value of 200.

If you are going to be using a flash a great deal, get a camera that can use an external flash - and watch the price on any propietory flash units if it cannot use a generic flash.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:17 PM   #4

Default The newer

Canon with the DIGIC imaging processor seem to be the better bet right now...although, that may change in 3 months.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 8:44 AM   #5

Something that you should seriously consider is something that is often over looked.

Go to the store and look at them in person. Hold them in your hands. Make sure that the button placement is comfortable. How will you carry it? Does it fit? (pocket, backpack, whatever) Is it too large or too small for your hand?

Cameras are very different in person than in pictures on your screen.

If the camera doesn't feel good in your hands, you won't bring it along. Cameras make expensive paper weights if you leave them on your desk instead of bringing them with you.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 10:28 AM   #6

Not to sounds like I'm just reiterating what eric said but, he's exactally right. I used to have thousands of dollars in SLR equipment but, I always used my little point and shoot Nikon. Why, It took good pictures and, I was able to take it with me easily. Sometimes, sacrificing a few features is worth it if you'll use the camera more.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 8:07 PM   #7

Well, guys... got the S50... not to learn how to use it...

I was going to ask if it would be better to get the S45 but then I figured that I could just shoot the S50 at a lower MP size and it would be the same thing...

wish me luck!
Mr. Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 10:31 PM   #8

Default Re: I feel like Charlie Brown after Lucy pulled the ball awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baloo
would like a 5MP camera so that I could crop the images to get them just right and print them out at an 8 x 10 size.
This is a good point, that should be reiterated every time the question "how many pixels?" is mentioned in this forum.

Most people responding to these queries seem to assume that everybody always frames the subject correctly in the viewfinder at the moment they push the button. I try to do this, but usually fail. Only Henri Cartier-Bresson knew how to get it right first time.

You're right; the more pixels the better, if you can afford them.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 11:55 PM   #9

I agree with Alan. However, there is more that comes into play with higher MP.

Sensor size and the MP it can produce.
Eg: the 5MP Sony 717 has a 2/3 sensor, so does the upcoming 8MP Sony 828 (although with some improvements)...will the 828 have more noise and/or a performance hit when capturing 8MP file sizes? We will have to see.

Personally I'd sacrifice 1 or 2 MP off the total to get a better lens or more controls.

Just thinking out loud.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote