Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 3, 2010, 3:32 PM   #1

Default What else to buy when getting a new camera?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here.

I want to get a new extended zoom camera panasonic fz35 and was wondering what else do I need to buy with it. Does the package only include the camera?

Like do I need memory? If so, which types, brands and capacity are good? I really have no idea about these.

I never owned a camera before so that's why I am wondering.

Do I also need to buy a bag for it? If so, are they like laptop bags that you can choose based on size? Any recommendations?

Do I need to buy the shoulder belt (?) for it too?

What about this image (the 4th one) has a weird lens. anyone knows what it is? Is it included?

Lastly am I missing anything else?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for reading.

Cheers.
vvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2010, 4:45 PM   #2

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...35-review.html and review the heading "Whats in the box".

You will need an SDHC memory card or two. Sandisk and Lexar are good brands. 4GB or 8GB is probably a decent size. Get the compatible SDHC card reader and use that to copy the images from the card to your computer rather than plugging the camera to the computer.

Also get a second battery so you can keep shooting when the first battery needs recharging.

Bags are very personal items and you need to go to a store that stocks a good selection to find one that suits you and your equipment. Lowepro is a good brand.

Last edited by Bob Nichol; May 3, 2010 at 4:57 PM.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 8:02 PM   #3

Thanks Bob, I really appreciate your reply.

I will be surely check out the items you mentioned.

Should I also buy a filter? I read here some people recommend it.

Thanks again.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:29 PM   #4

I use a UV filter on my lenses having damaged a filter in the past. Others claim you don't need one and that it may degrade the image quality. If you do get one go for top quality such as the Hoya Super HMC line.

I also have a polarizer filter which is used to control reflection and intensify sky colour.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 8:40 PM   #5

One small point... a lot of Sandisk I see are Class 2. You may know already but I'll say it anyway. Look at the card closely. There'll be a little C with an even smaller number inside it. Buy only Class 6 or 10. Some readers still in production have problems with 8GB SDHC. For max compatibility and if 4GB gives you enough shooting capability, I suggest using those for now.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 12:42 PM   #6

Thanks guys.

@frank-in-toronto, the classes you mention, which is better? Are they like versions, so class 10 is better?

Also anyone knows where is a good place to buy a camera in Canada? I heard that there are places that actually sort of give you a year or so for a fee so you can upgrade when you want, by paying the difference between 2 cameras (or maybe a little more) in that time period.

Is that true? I want to buy one with that kind of deal if possible.

Thanks again.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:17 PM   #7

In Canada you can try Henry's Photo, they are all over. Very good, and prices are comparible to say Best Buy.

http://www.henrys.com/

When you buy the camera you have 2 weeks to try it out, if you don't like it, you may return it. Best Buy also has a 15 day return policy on digital cameras.

I also just bought a new camera for first time, and also purchased a SDHC memory card (class 4, 8GB was $49), and a camera bag made by Roots Digital ($27).

Have fun with your new camera.... I already became addicted and loving this forum for all kinds of great information.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nichol View Post
Get the compatible SDHC card reader and use that to copy the images from the card to your computer rather than plugging the camera to the computer.
Bob, just curious whats the difference? I use the USB to attach to the camera, then to the computer, and bam, it loads them right away, very simple. Isn't that easier than opening the battery cover and ejecting the card every time? Or is there a reason for the card reader? is it bad to use the camera directly? Just asking as I'm new to this as well....
Old May 4, 2010, 1:35 PM   #9

There's a thread about card readers:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...er-camera.html
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 1:46 PM   #10

thanks Ordo