Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 13, 2010, 11:41 AM   #1

Default problem with DigiLife DDV-V3HD digital video camera

does anyone have this camera and had any problems with it?

I got this camera on ebay over a year ago and it worked fine at first but now if record anything over 10 minutes the video gets really jerky, skips frames, and i get intermittent pixelation when I play the video on my PC.

I thought maybe it was a codec issue with windows media player but even when i play the file back on the camera itself you can tell its kinda slow and jerky after about 10 minutes of recording...

the audio plays fine just the video...

i checked the digilifeusa.com website for maybe a firmware upgrade or something but this model is not even listed on their site so i dont know if its been discontinued or what...

any ideas?
getsomedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2010, 2:16 PM   #2

If you have used it a lot over the year, it could be a battery issue. Try a replacement.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 2:48 PM   #3

i pretty much only use this camera for timelapse art videos.... (i edit and speedup the videos afterwards on my pc) so its on a tripod and never moves, i keep it plugged into AC power 90% of the time while im recording...

i guess i will try testing it with and without AC power to see if that makes a difference...
Old May 13, 2010, 9:51 PM   #4

My next best guess would be the power supply filter capacitors - probably a factory service item, unless you know someone who works on these cameras.

brian
Old May 18, 2010, 12:45 AM   #5

im still running some tests, I emailed DigiLife's tech support but they didnt even respond to my email...

i did a 30 min recording plugged into another AC power outlet then the one i am normally plugged into and it seemed to have worked, so maybe it is a power issue... i will run another recording tom just to make sure it wasnt a fluke...
Old May 26, 2010, 10:44 PM   #6

i think i figured out the issue, it was giving me the same problem plugged into ac and battery power only, but when i took the battery out and had it plugged into ac only it seems to work... it maybe some kind of overheating problem when the battery is in the camera...

now i just have to record a longer video to make sure....
Old May 27, 2010, 11:14 PM   #7

well its official, this camera is a piece of shit :-\....
recorded a longer video with AC power only and no battery in camera and its back to the same symptoms as described above....

but i think your right its some kind of overheating / capacitor issue which causes the camera not to record correctly after awhile...

can anyone recommend a camera with similar specs to this one that wont break in a year...?
Old May 28, 2010, 6:59 AM   #8

I does sound like a thermal problem. If it's out of warranty, you are probably out of luck.
I don't keep up with video stuff at all, so can't say what would work as a replacement. The video/hybrid forum would be where I would ask.

brian
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:17 PM   #9

so i ordered the Aiptek AHD+ 1080P on ebay and so far its not bad, i got it for $70 which is a actually cheaper then the digilife which was about $120...

the functionality is about the same, only differences are the aiptek records in *.mov file format and the digilife did *.avi file format, another thing is the aiptek does not have a pause button so i cant pause a recording... basically have to stop recording and start another which creates multiple files... but thats not biggie...

hopefully this one wont screw up like the digilife but i guess well see...